Health Promotion and Education Coordinator/Health Educator
Health Promotion and Education
Duration of Position:
Full year / Full time
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.Note: Vassar College has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all employees except for those exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of Health Promotion and Education, the Health Promotion and Education Coordinator/Health Educator is charged with providing health education opportunities for students in order to address long and short-term student health needs through training and coordinating student Wellness Peer Educators, planning and developing health education trainings, programs and workshops, and developing and maintaining written materials for outreach. The program coordinator/health educator organizes and conducts health education and behavioral health-risk prevention programs with the goal to improve health knowledge, attitudes and behaviors. They will also serve as a resource for other campus departments on student health issues.
The Health Promotion and Education Program Coordinator/Health Educator will collaborate with campus stakeholders to implement a comprehensive approach to health for students. This position will provide oversight and coordination of preventative programming, as well as hire, train, and supervise student Wellness Peer Educators and student office assistants.
Required skills and experience
- Develops, implements, and evaluates a variety of health promotion programs, events, and initiatives as part of a comprehensive health promotion mission, vision, and prevention strategy, with a particular focus on mental health, sexual health, exercise and nutrition, and alcohol and other drugs.
- Coordinates the recruitment, training and supervision of the student Wellness Peer Educators and student office assistants. Assists this group in creating and delivering innovative primary prevention programs.
- Uses campus and community resources to plan, develop, implement and evaluate programs and activities that meet the health education and promotion goals for the entire Vassar student community, in a manner that is consistent with professional health education standards, such as the American College Health Association's (ACHA) Standards of Practice for Health Promotion in Higher Education.
- Develops goals and measurable objectives for policies, programs, and services to evaluate effectiveness.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all campus partners to help implement online applications and tools for the community.
- Based on studies, surveys and consultation with students, health professionals and other campus stakeholders assist the Director in determining the health education needs and priorities for the entire Vassar College community.
- Incorporates multicultural diversity and social justice concepts and principles into health promotion services.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders on and off campus to implement a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to health for students. This includes participation in division of Associate Dean of the College for Student Living and Wellness teams and committees.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Health Education, Public Health, Counseling, or closely related field and a minimum of two years of experience in college or community health promotion;
- Ability to embrace and engage with harm reduction principles as related to alcohol and other drug use, sexual activity, and other risk behaviors present in the college population.
- Equivalent to one to two years of progressively responsible health education experience or combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- Demonstrated skills in a variety of educational methods including presentations, training, small group facilitation, and individual sessions.
- Demonstrated cultural competence and inclusiveness in working with populations of diverse cultures and identities in addressing issues of diversity, health, and social justice.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with a wide variety of campus organizations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Two years of experience working in a college health setting providing health education and/or prevention programming.
- The ideal candidate should have two years of experience focused on creating programming and outreach in mental health, exercise and nutrition, alcohol and other drugs, and sexual health preferably in a higher education environment.
- Trained in BASICS (Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students) interventions and other health-related consultations for individual students and groups,
- MPH or behavioral-health related masters preferred.
- Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) certification preferred.
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2326.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency