Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) announces that its national search for the position of Vice President for Student Affairs is open and invites expressions of interest, nominations, and applications.
Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) announces and invites applications for the search for its next Vice President of Student Affairs (VPSA). As a key member of the university’s Executive Committee, the new VPSA will have the opportunity to partner with CCSU President Zulma R. Toro in using innovative strategies to pursue new challenges and tackle old problems, while sharing her commitment to serving CCSU’s many communities in new and more effective ways. The University seeks an energetic and collaborative leader who will work collegially with all members of the University community. The ideal candidate will advise and collaborate with students, faculty, staff, and administrators on a variety of matters that shape the student experience and campus culture. The VPSA will share Dr. Toro’s commitment to expanding access to higher education and her vision for CCSU as a student-centered public university that addresses the needs of the whole student.
ROLE OF THE VPSA
As the chief student affairs officer, the VPSA is a key partner in student decision-making, providing leadership in all student affairs matters and working collaboratively with the directors, faculty, staff, and administration to further the University’s mission and strategic plan. The VPSA reports directly to the President, serves on the Executive Committee, and works collaboratively with other members of the President’s leadership team. There must be close and collegial relations between the VPSA and the Provost, given the many ways in which they must partner to achieve the best educational outcome for our students. The VPSA will be responsible for providing leadership and administrative oversight of all student affairs programs and services that promote and advance the University’s mission and strategic plan. The VPSA supervises the following departments: Student Wellness Services (Health, Counseling, and Wellness Education), Residence Life, Student Activities and Leadership Development, Recreation, Student Center, Student Rights & Responsibilities, Student Disability Services, and Veterans Affairs.
The successful candidate must meet all the required qualifications, which include:
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution
- Seven or more years combined administrative and academic experience in higher education
- Exceptional record of leadership experience in student affairs employing a student-centered philosophy
- Experience developing, sustaining, promoting, and evaluating student development programs, including knowledge of current strategies in student affairs
- Demonstrated contributions and role in improving student retention and graduation rates
- Experience with planning, budgeting, and fiscal management in a complex organization
- Experience working collaboratively with a student government organization and other student organizations
- Experience in employee recruitment and retention, promotion decisions, and the ability to recruit and retain a diverse staff
- Capacity to effectively communicate with a variety of constituency groups, both internal and external to CCSU
- Commitment to shared governance and ability to build consensus, develop new approaches to problem solving, and adapt to an ever-changing environment
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion In addition to the required qualifications, the ideal candidate will also have:
- Advanced degree
- Management experience
- Demonstrated experience establishing partnerships with academic affairs
- Demonstrated experience in successful community engagement
- Demonstrated success in meeting the holistic needs of college students
- Experience working in a unionized, public institution of higher education
APPLICATIONS AND NOMINATIONS
For full consideration, applications must be received by February 18, 2022.
To begin the application process please visit the CCSU HR Job Opportunities at https://www.ccsu.edu/hr/faculty-management-admin.html. Select job [C21-093] Vice President of Student Affairs and click on the Apply button and submit the following documents:
- Letter of interest addressing qualifications for the position
- Current curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information of a minimum of three professional references; references will not be contacted without prior knowledge
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Emailed and mailed applications will not be accepted. Please redact any personally identifiable information (i.e., Social Security number, date of birth, marital status, country of origin) from any documents submitted. Please ensure your Social Security Number is not listed on any documents submitted.
For more information, contact Dr. Kimberly Kostelis, Search Committee Chair, at 860-832-2228 or [email protected]
The Vice President of Student Affairs is compensated at the Executive 3 salary level in accordance with the CSCU Human Resources Policies for Management and Confidential Professional Personnel, https://www.ct.edu/files/policies/4.8%20HR%20Policies%20for%20Mgmt%20Conf%20Employe es.pdf
The State of Connecticut and CCSU are proud to offer its employees competitive wages and a wide range of fringe benefits including voluntary and supplemental benefits.
Fringe benefits include personal, vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, medical, dental, and prescription plans, group life insurance, a choice of retirement plans, retirement health care, tuition waiver for employee and eligible dependents at any of the Connecticut State Universities (CCSU, Eastern, Southern or Western), as well as an array of voluntary and supplemental benefits, such as Deferred Retirement Compensation plans, Dependent Care Assistance and Medical Flexible spending accounts, long term and short term disability plans. For more detailed information, please visit CCSU Human Resources.
Central is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.