: Decision SupportLocations:
: Saratoga Springs, NYPosted:
: Nov 4, 2021Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full-timePosition ID:
About SUNY Empire State College:
SUNY Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative, nontraditional teaching and learning.
SUNY Empire is part of the State University of New York system and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, SUNY Empire primarily serves working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at locations in every region of the state and abroad.
The college's 51-year commitment to flexible, individualized learning is represented by faculty mentors who guide students throughout their academic studies, the ability for students to build individualized degree plans, the award of credit for learning gained from life and work experience, world-class academic and social student-support communities, and flexible course delivery methods that meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college boasts more than 92,000 successful alumni and partners with nearly 17,000 students each year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
SUNY Empire State College is committed to creating a multicultural, inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We believe that a diverse faculty is critical to academic excellence and prepares students to live and work in an increasingly global world.
We are pleased to offer our employees a generous compensation and benefits package. We also offer professional-development activities for professionals and support staff, as well as faculty-development opportunities that encourage pursuit of disciplinary and community-focused research, scholarship of teaching and learning, and leadership development. Faculty-development opportunities include our annual Fall Academic Conference and the annual Institute on Mentoring, Teaching and Learning.
SUNY Empire State College's Decision Support Office seeks a full-time Data Warehouse/Business Intelligence (BI) Architect (State Title: Staff Associate) to join our team. This position is open state-wide and can have presence in our Rochester, Selden or Saratoga Springs, NY locations. The Data Warehouse/BI Architect reports to the Director of Business Analytics and is responsible for design, development and management of a data warehouse environment used for analytics and reporting.
As part of Decision Support, the data warehouse team works with campus stakeholders to develop data models and intelligence delivery systems so the campus can achieve a wide range of strategic and tactical goals. The team is responsible for the entire scope of data warehousing, including requirements discovery, data mining and profiling, data model design, implementation, maintenance, training and support. The SUNY Empire State College data warehouse is expected to be a central part of all strategic initiatives for business and academic improvement at the College.
- Engage with stakeholders to gather/determine requirements, priorities, define key performance indicators (KPI) for reporting and analytic solutions in support of campus initiatives.
- Design, develop and communicate appropriate data structures and architectures including data vault, star schema and data mining models; emphasize methodology, modeling, technologically and politically neutral, articulate, persuasive, and enthusiastic.
- Develop and test programs using TSQL, PLSQL and other various tools (e.g., WhereScape RED, SSIS, Python, Oracle Data Integrator) to support reporting and extract solutions.
- Support business and technical staff regarding the content and use of data warehouse objects.
- Maintain table structures, programs, scripts and documentation and develop Data Management strategy.
- Ability to conceive and portray the big data picture: initiate, evaluate, and influence projects from the perspective of the entire organization.
- Implement sound data modeling and database design across all phases of development from conceptualization to database optimization; using skills that extend from SQL development to database administration.
- Associate's degree and a minimum of 3 years of practical experience delivering business intelligence/analytic or related solutions.
- Advanced SQL skills (e.g. functions, stored procedures, pivoting, cursors, triggers, indexes, constraints, etc.).
- Practical experience with data warehousing/business intelligence best practices, methodologies, standards, and architectures.
- Knowledge of relational database design, logical data modeling, data warehousing, and relational database management systems; preferably Oracle 11x or MS SQL Server 2012+
- Strong analytical, business process, and design skills. Excellent presentation, written, verbal and communication skills with the ability to engage and influence employees and leaders at all levels of the organization.
- Knowledge of OLAP technologies and dimensional modeling, including their applicability to various reporting problems.
- Experience developing business intelligence and reporting solutions using any major industry standard tool (e.g.PowerBI, Cognos, MicroStrategy, Tableau, etc.).
- Knowledge of industry trends including data mining, visualization, and predictive modeling; experience with designing models to support enrollment prediction and forecasting is a plus.
- Experience in higher education and their associated data landscapes or strong conceptual knowledge of a higher education systems (e.g. Banner, CRM Recruit, Advise, etc.).
- Exposure to a team-oriented work environment.
- Bachelor's degree and experience to include a minimum of 1 year of practical experience delivering business intelligence/analytic or related solutions.
- This position is open to Rochester, Selden or Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Hours of operations are primarily 8:30am to 5:00pm.
- Flexible hours and remote work arrangements may be negotiated.
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
Rank/Salary: SL4/$82,000+ (Commensurate with experience).
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: The review of Applications will begin immediately and will be accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Please click here to login to your Empire State College Employment Account to check your completed application or to update your account.