Casual WagePosition Title:
Physical Education and Fitness InstructorsFull Time/Part Time:
Athletic AdministrationDepartment Statement:
Colgate University is a special place to work and offers many unique opportunities, including the ability to work with and among world class faculty and staff at a highly selective residential liberal arts institution. This position provides an opportunity to become familiar with the variety of regular positions that are available at the University, as well as the ability to add employment at a distinct University to your resume. Accountabilities:
Successful candidates for this position will earn sick leave, paid time off, free parking, and a University ‘Gate Card that provides access to fitness facilities, athletic and cultural events, as well as a discount on many items at the University Bookstore. This type of appointment is not approved to work more than 999 hours per year for all positions combined. Should incumbents work more than a total of 999 hours in a year the appointment may not continue beyond one year of service.
Physical Education Instructors are essential for providing a robust curriculum of wellness courses to meet the graduation requirement for all students. Instructors are needed to teach a variety of topics which may be discussion based or activity based topics. We are currently seeking instructors to facilitate 10 hour courses in the following areas: Spiritual Wellness, Nutrition, Mental and Emotional Wellness, Life skills and Fitness, Life hobbies such as in Golf, Horseback riding, Trap Shooting, Boxing, Racquetball or Tennis. Fitness instructors are needed to Teach 50 minute courses weekly during the semester, including for Focus on Fitness during the lunch hours for employees, many course subjects will require certifications to ensure the health and safety of participants.
Instructors will be required to provide a course description and syllabus as well as maintain and submit course attendance records in a timely manner.
Physical Education courses are offered each semester and student registration is held before each new unit. Course Dates for the Fall 2021 are Session I 9/6 – 10/7 and Session II 10/18 – 11/18.
Fitness and Focus on Fitness courses that are offered will run from 9/6 – 12/10.
Supervisor: Work under the supervision of the Director of Recreation, Chair of Physical Education or the Assistant Director of Recreational Programs.
Job Qualifications: Experience in area or course. Fitness areas may require a certification. Knowledge of Google Drive and ability to use an iPad. CPR/AED/First Aid certification preferred or willingness to acquire certification within the first six months, certification classes will be provided.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Professional Experience/ Qualifications:
- All Instructors are accountable for adhering to and enforcing policies, rules and regulations of the University and Recreational facility.
- All Instructors must follow all staff policies and procedures as set by the University and Colgate Physical Education and Recreation Department.
- Check patrons and students for proper credentials to use the facility.
- Track attendance for all classes, utilizing the forms provided by the department. Attendance \participation is required by students seeking PE credit towards their graduation requirements.
- PE Instructors will be provided with Course Makeup Options by the PE department, but each instructor has the option to offer their own makeup option.
- PE classes require that excused absences go through the PE Office; Medical excuses come from Deans\ Health Center only.
- All instructors must arrive early enough to set up for your class. Classes need to end promptly, to allow the next class to use the space. Most classes end at the 50 minute mark.
- All instructors must conduct classes professionally and courteously. Maintain the appearance, health and safety, and functionality of the fitness facility by encouraging participants to clean and put away any equipment used during the class.
- Cancelling A Class for the Unit: If the class does not meet the minimum attendance it must be cancelled, no later than after the 2nd class. Notify & Turn in the Card to the PE office. We will transfer attendance for students who need it, they should notify the PE Office
- Injuries: The Huntington Cage can provide basic first aid \ ice. Contact Campus Safety for serious injuries at 315-228-7333 or 315-228-7911. Please inform the PE office ASAP. Injury Report should be filled out, they are available in the Cage.
- Waivers: Faculty \Staff can join a PE, fitness class as room permits. All classes require a signed waiver form which you will turn into the PE office. If you have others who wish to take the class please inform the PE office.
- Payment: Instructor Payroll is submitted bi-weekly through the Payroll app on the Colgate Portal. Once you are set up with Human Resources, you will be given instructions for submitting hours to payroll. Pay dates will be based on the payroll schedule for the year. Colgate employees who teach a class are eligible for payment if the class is unrelated to their job duties. Hourly employees can not teach more than a 40 hour work week when combined with their regular schedule. Supervisor permission is required for any adjustment in schedule. Those that instruct a course related to their regular duties, will not receive additional payment but should work with their supervisor regarding schedule adjustments.
All Colgate instructors need to be CPR \ AED certified. PERA will provide a 1 – 2 hour certification class. Contact the PE office for more information if you need to take a class. AED Deliberators are available throughout campus, you should know the location of the one nearest your class location. In Huntington Gym, they are located outside the Varsity Weight Room, Fitness Center & PoolOther Information:
Employment is based on the need and requires satisfactory evaluation.Requisition Number:
Average courses require a minimum of 2 hours per week.Job Open Date:
08/13/2021Open Until Filled:
NoSpecial Instructions Summary:
Colgate University is committed to the principle of institutional control in administering its athletics program in a manner consistent with the NCAA, ECAC, and Patriot League rules. Each individual involved in the athletics division is obligated to maintain competency and knowledge of the rules, to act within his or her realm of responsibility in full compliance with the governing legislation, and to report any violation of NCAA, ECAC or Patriot League rules of which he or she is aware. Should a situation warrant further investigation, you have an affirmative obligation to cooperate fully in the infractions process, including the investigation and adjudication of a case. The failure to do so can be grounds for your termination with cause.EEO Statement:
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.Clery Act:
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at [email protected]. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.