: Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: Nov 22, 2021Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full Time StaffPosition ID:
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision, utilize judgment to construct, alter, install, test, operate and repair plumbing fixtures, vent, waste, electronic sensors for faucets, flush valves and showers. Ability to respond to other structure and /or systems including electrical, mechanical, pipe fitting, carpentry and other related skilled maintenance technology. Exercise independent judgment based on job knowledge and training to complete tasks.
Characteristics Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform routine preventative maintenance and repairs on domestic water distribution, waste and laboratory systems and fixtures.
- Test and repair backflow prevention devices.
- Assist in the completion of new construction and design, specify, install and maintain equipment to produce the desired results.
- Assist in instructing and training unskilled employees in the safe, effective methods of performing task in the assigned maintenance function.
- In collaboration with the Building Maintenance Supervisor, determine and evaluate safe and most economical solution of specific maintenance problems.
- Ensure proper care and maintenance of equipment and supplies.
- Perform snow removal and perform special work assignments or clean up as directed.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Journeyman with 5 years' experience in plumbing trade.
- Must have and maintain a State of Illinois plumber's license.
- Maintain plumbing License CEUs.
- Must have and maintain a back flow certification.
- Ability to measure, cut, fit, join, weld, braze, thread and install glass, vitreous/plate tile, concrete, all types of metal, polypropylene and PVC piping.
- Repair and maintain all support equipment associated with water, gas and waste systems. This can include sump pumps, ejectors, boilers, motors and pumps for hot and cold water distribution systems.
- Learn and apply Health and Safety Regulations/Codes to the campus.
- Ability to examine, troubleshoot, detect and diagnose defective plumbing fixtures, equipment, hardware or materials.
- Ability to perform major component replacement and evaluation of complex system problems under leadership of the Building Maintenance Supervisor.
- Ability to read, interpret and follow mechanical blueprints, schematics hand drawn diagrams, specification and other technical documents related to the installation , maintenance and repair of domestic water systems.
- Ability to react quickly and to analyze known data or symptoms of a problem and arrive at a logical solution.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to the trade.
- Ability to document and track preventative maintenance activities.
Position will require employees to have:
- the ability to stand, walk and move for extended periods of time (Often - 75% - 100%).
- the ability to detect dirt, dust, stains and marks. (Often 75% to 100%)
- the ability to bend, twist, stoop, kneel, crawl, push, pull, and reach in all directions (Often - 75% - 100%)
- the ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. (Often 75% - 100%)
- the ability to perform moderate to strenuous physical labor for extended periods of time. (Often 75% - 100%)
- the ability to set up and operate mechanical cleaning equipment. (Occasional 50% to 75%)
- the ability to work at heights and the ability to ascend/descend ladders. (Seldom - 0% - 25%)
Some shifts will require the use of radio communication. Employees on these shifts, using these devices, will be required to have the ability to hear and exchange information clearly
General supervision is received from the Supervisor of Building Maintenance and/or Senior Manager of Campus Facilities and Construction.
Functional supervision is exercised over 1 to 3 general maintenance personnel.
HOURS: Monday through Friday (6:30 am - 3:00 pm)
SALARY: $48,870 Starting salary may change due to the completion of staff negotiations.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.
Oakton Community College requires all employees to adhere to a Vaccination /Testing Mandate and Mask Requirement.
Oakton Community College does not currently have a work form home policy and employees, are required to report to campus.