Business Operations Lead (4722C) 27745
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
University Health Services (UHS) is a national collegiate leader in providing fully accredited, primary medical care, sports medicine, occupational health, psychiatry, counseling and psychological services, and innovative health promotion programs for 45,000 students, faculty, and staff. This position supports the procurement of medical and office supplies, medical and non-medical equipment, Bear Buy management, inventory, mail, the emergency supplies shed, and compliance with applicable business policy and procedures guideline.
This Lead position needs to be present at the health service as an essential role in the procurement channel, available to meet and guide our 25 service managers in compliance with campus policies, and utilizing partner resources at VCSA procurement and campus procurement when needed.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 12/18/2021
This position directly supports managers, supervisors and staff for 17 UHS and the Faculty and Staff unit in procurement of supplies and services. UHS procurement activities approach $10M per year in pharmaceutical and other medical purchases, multiple vendor relationships for products and services, and administrative support such as work cell phones for on-call clinical staff. This position delivers of a wide range of business services that ensure continuous operations of all the UHS units, including alignment with campus purchasing regulations, preventative maintenance of clinical equipment, repairs and changes to the automated telephone call distribution system.
- Manages procurement requests, cost analyses, status of pending requests, delivery issues, and return requests.
- Emphasizes a customer service orientation for reception of campus partners, staff, clients and vendors.
- Prioritizes, coordinates and ensures the timely, effective and accurate completion of the following activities: procurement of medical supplies, completion of requisitions in Bearbuy, administrative filing and record-keeping, office/personnel related activity, adherence to compliance requirements.
- Responsible for answering non-routine questions and inquiries, manages unusual or sensitive problems, and provides oral and/or written communication as follow-up to such problems.
- Works with other campus offices, campus shared services, Bear Buy Help Desk, Conexus, campus procurement buyer, the campus disbursement office, and vendors to ensure completion of all unit purchasing, reconciliation, billing and payments
- Exercises judgment in best use of procurement methods in balancing between operational need and procurement compliance.
- Complies with applicable campus procurement regulations regarding use of purchase orders, payment requests, and credit card purchases.
- Responds to requests or situations that are highly timely and crucial to the operations of administrative and clinical services.
Lead Administrative Assistant
- Interprets and applies University policies and procedures to all UHS purchases
- Researches all UHS goods and services to ensure lowest cost that meets specifications; performs costs analysis. Reviews terms and conditions for appropriateness.
- Assesses current procedures and makes recommendations to improve processes and procedures, maintaining improved procurement process with department users and suppliers.
- Reviews and assigns internal charges to appropriate unit in support of budget monitoring
- Under general supervision, provides analysis of moderate purchasing projects
Backup Support to Team Members
- Has authority to prioritize daily operations and give directions to peers
- Provides input to supervisor on performance management
- Must have in-depth knowledge of Business Operations and Procurement procedures and policies
- Works directly with UHS staff to research and solve issues
- Have confidence and strong systems thinking to move Business Operations practices to a higher level
- Training as required for Bus Ops Team Members
- Use of Bearbuy
- Supply Management
- Inventory, Deliveries and Central Stockroom
- Logistical support
- Preventative Maintenance
- Strong customer service orientation and professional demeanor in person, on telephone and with email.
- Skills with online purchasing systems, Microsoft Word, Excel and Windows Explorer.
- Strong computer skills necessary to conduct Internet research, utilize web-based processes and to adapt to changing technology in research of product information
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including editing and grammar.
- Advanced, detail-oriented organizational skills necessary to monitor, track and ensure completion of business tasks of internal and external business service requests
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters.
- Adequate financial skills necessary to track expenses, read ledgers and reconcile accounts.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently prioritizes work, manage time and complete assignments in a timely manner.
- Effective interpersonal and communication abilities to interact with diverse constituents, and a strong desire to work with diverse populations and as a contributing member of a team including the campus community, UHS staff and suppliers.
- Ability to complete work in an environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, tact and discretion.
- Ability to apply knowledge of business and finance policies and procedures to carry out a wide range of administrative functions.
- High School diploma or GED or equivalent training / experience.
- Valid California driver's license
Salary & Benefits
$29.40 - $32.89 per hour. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Your employment is dependent on obtaining and maintaining a background clearance and medical clearance according to University Health Service policies.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=27745&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency