Research and Instruction Librarian (Tenure-Track)
About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Job Description:Campus Title:
Research and Instruction Librarian (Tenure-Track) State Job Title:
Assistant Librarian Department:
Library Job Code:
Full-time Permanent Timeframe:
52 Weeks Shift:
Monday- Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., with some flexibility for instruction Regular Days Off:
Saturday and Sunday Supervision Received:
General supervision by the Library Executive DirectorSupervision Exercised
: N/A Salary:
$50,000.00-$53,000.00 (salary to be commensurate with education and experience) General Statement of Duties:
The Research and Instruction Librarian works collaboratively with the Information Instruction Coordinator and other librarians to develop dynamic user-centered instructional programming that emphasizes critical thinking, active learning, and high-impact practices, utilizing appropriate technologies. In collaboration with academic department faculty, the Research and Instruction Librarian teaches information instruction sessions and provides research consultations both online and in-person, at the Reference desk, and by appointment. The Research and Instruction Librarian also works closely with programs such as the Center for Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity (CURCA) and the Honors Program to provide guidance to students conducting research projects. The incumbent serves as liaison to assigned academic departments on campus for collection development, instruction, and research support. The Research and Instruction Librarian collaborates with student support units, such as (but not limited to) the Career Center, Reading & Writing Center, or others to support campus-wide student success activities. The incumbent will also participate in professional activities, continuing scholarship, and will serve on University committees.Duties and Responsibilities:Duties include but not limited to:Essential:
- Teaches information instruction sessions and provides research consultations both online and in-person, at the Reference desk, and by appointment
- Works closely with programs such as the Center for Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity (CURCA) and the Honors Program to provide guidance to students conducting research projects.
- Serves as liaison to assigned academic departments on campus for collection development, instruction, and research support.
- Collaborates with student support units, such as but not limited to, the Career Center, Reading & Writing Center, or others to support campus-wide student success activities.
- Participate in professional activities, continuing scholarship, and will serve on University committees.
- ALA-accredited Master of Library and Information Science or equivalent.
- Experience developing and implementing instruction or training.
- Experience providing research and Reference assistance to a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff.
- Demonstrated understanding of current trends in library instruction, including assessment, pedagogy, and instructional technologies to support multi-modal learning.
- Demonstrated excellent spoken and written communication skills.
- Evidence of strong team orientation and a track record of successful collaboration.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse community and to foster a culture of inclusion.
For the majority of new employees, the minimum starting salary will apply. Specific salary for current Westfield State University employees and individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining and state policies and procedures.
State job specifications for this position may be found at the department of higher education website: http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.aspDisability Accommodations:
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.Background Check:
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
Application Instructions:An on-line application is required
. The successful candidate must submit an official transcript at the time of hire. Interested candidates should electronically attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for three references *
- Copy of unofficial transcript of highest degree
* Provide the contact information for reference providers in the reference section of the online application.
Deadline: The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalists have been selected. NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=139909&CNTRNO=17&TSTMP=0
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency