Publishing Operations Assistant
Johns Hopkins is one of the largest university presses, publishing about 140 books each year. We have a team of exceptional professionals committed to bringing the benefits of discovery to the world by providing global access, impact, and influence for the scholarship that we publish and distribute.
We are seeking a Publishing Operations Assistant
who reports to the Director of Publishing Operations and performs editorial and production functions for the reprints program as well as administrative duties for the Publishing Operations Department.Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Assist with reprints process including performing the editorial and production work to implement text corrections, update and archive production files, track budgets and schedules, and ensure timely manufacturing and distribution.
- Obtain Cataloging-in-Publication data from the Library of Congress for all new books.
- Accurately track departmental invoices and process in a timely manner.
- Assist with cover design and review process.
- Take meeting notes and distribute minutes for departmental meetings.
- Assist with real-time maintenance and completeness of records in title management database (Allbooks/Filemaker) and generating reports/pulling data.
- Assist with management of electronic content archive and manufacturing library including confirming/researching accuracy and completeness of files, materials, and/or specifications.
- Manage physical components and final products including distributing advance book copies and covers and returning excess inventory to the warehouse.
- Under supervision of publishing operations managers, responsible for editorial work and production coordination on a limited number of first-time paperbacks and revised editions, working directly with authors, freelancers, and vendors.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Two years of employment experience required.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.*
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. Preferred Qualifications:
Special Knowledege, Skills & Abilities:
- B.A/B.S. Degree.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Advanced Microsoft Word skills in formatting, page set-up, track changes, etc.
- Foreign-language skills.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills.
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition, with ability to apply other style manuals.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong language skills and communication abilities.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and to prioritize effectively.
- Detail oriented, flexible, well organized, and able to meet deadlines.
- Strong interest in book design, editing, proofreading, and/or typography.
- Must be able to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 40 pounds.
Classified Title: Publication Assistant
Working Title: Publishing Operations Assistant
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OD
Starting Salary Range: $15.41 - $21.21 per hour
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10000123-Books Design and Production
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at [email protected]
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Publishing-Operations-Assistant-MD-21218/817785900/
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency