Search #: 495866
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Administrative Services
The University of Connecticut, College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources Dean’s Business Office is seeking applicants for a full-time Administrative Program Support 4. The College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources (CAHNR) works to ensure a sustainable global future through research, teaching, and public engagement utilizing agricultural, health, and environmental sciences. Under the direction of the Assistant Dean for Finance and Administration, the Administrative Program Support 4 position is responsible for managing HR and Payroll functions in the Business Office of the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represent the Dean’s Business Office to all levels of University officials, outside agencies, and others, with the authority to act on behalf of the Assistant Dean regarding HR, Payroll, visa processing, and related work.
- Supervise the Payroll process in its entirety, including the review and approval process of timecards, time and labor coding, funding sources, etc.; identify issues and resolve while ensuring compliance with collective bargaining agreements, University policy and procedures, and state and federal laws; identify workflow inefficiencies; make suggestions for corrective actions and implement improvements as needed to ensure compliance
- Manage and oversee search, recruitment and hiring processes for classified and unclassified positions and temporary appointments or employment; review and evaluate actions and documentation; approve and maintain confidential records; collaborate with Assistant Dean, Provost Office, Human Resources, and the Office of Institutional Equity as needed.
- Train, assign work, supervise and evaluate assigned administrative staff and student workers and provide guidance and direction to other staff as needed.
- Review and approve all payroll hire requests, ensuring accuracy, compliance with federal, state, and University policies; work with appropriate senior leadership, departments, and central University offices to identify discrepancies; make suggestions and necessary follow-up and/or revisions as needed
- Independently advise and assist the Assistant Dean on the full range of complex administrative and business matters related to HR and Payroll.
- Serve as a principal source of information to CAHNR administrators, faculty, and staff, regarding the interpretation and application of policies, regulations, and collective bargaining agreements concerning HR, Payroll, visa processing, and related administrative functions and business operations.
- Establish internal operating procedures relating to HR, Payroll, and other administrative functions such as purchasing, travel, Foundation matters; make changes as needed to improve efficiency or effectiveness.
- Participate in weekly team meetings, providing updates on policies and procedures; assist in planning, setting the agenda, and facilitating bi-monthly meetings for CAHNR administrative staff. Represent the College at other University administrative meetings/forums and serve on committees as requested.
- Serve as a primary resource to CAHNR administrative staff regarding HR, Payroll, visa processing, and general administrative functions and processes; provide ongoing training, instructional information, and updates from the College or central offices such as HR, Payroll, OIE, the Budget Office, the Office of General Counsel; support onboarding activities and training for any new employees hired within the CAHNR.
- Prepare and submit all CAHNR H-1B beneficiary petitions to the Office of General Counsel; resolve all questions and concerns from beneficiaries, departments, and UConn’s Immigration attorney.
- Implement and supervise maintenance of internal electronic data management system for CAHNR personnel and payroll records.
- Compile data and information from a variety of sources to generate and prepare statistics and narratives for reports as requested by Assistant Dean.
- Perform other job duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree and four to five years of demonstrated work experience in human resources administration; OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of payroll and onboarding processes
- Demonstrated experience taking initiative and exercising sound judgment when interpreting and applying complex rules and policies
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven organizational skills and experience working well independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines and handle confidential information in a professional manner
- Proficient in MS Office applications
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources
- Administrative experience in collective bargaining environment
- Experience working in higher education
- Experience working with Core-CT, PageUp, FileNet (document management), or similar enterprise resource systems
- Supervisory experience
- Evidence of leadership skills
This is a full-time, twelve-month, UCPEA staff position with an excellent benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s background and experience, ranging from mid $60s to low $70s.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment at the University of Connecticut is contingent upon the successful candidate’s compliance with the University’s Mandatory Workforce COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. This Policy states that all workforce members are required to have or obtain a Covid-19 vaccination as a term and condition of employment at UConn, unless an exemption or deferral has been approved.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #495866 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references (including title, organization/company, phone, and e-mail).
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on December 15, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Nov 24 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Dec 15 2021 Eastern Standard Time