The Help Desk team in the Information Technology Systems Department at Macalester College is seeking to hire a new Technical Support Specialist with a focus on Help Desk operations and student employee supervision to support its growing organization. This Technical Support Specialist will ensures delivery of timely, efficient, and effective deployment and support of technology used by Macalester College faculty, staff, and students.
About the Help Desk Team:
The ITS Help Desk team, a group within the Support Services line in Information Technology Services, is a collaborative group of four professional staff and approximately 40 student employees. This team is responsible for providing Tier 1 and Tier 2 technical support, as well as asset management and computer lifecycle services, to Macalester’s students, faculty, and staff. As the face of the ITS department, this team values strong communication, a focus on customer service, and a commitment to engaging positively with all members of our diverse campus community.
Technical Support & Consultation:
- Provides escalated technical support and consulting for hardware, software, and other technology.
- Coordinates with other areas of ITS for information gathering, troubleshooting, and escalation as appropriate.
- Accurately records information about issues and their resolutions in the TOPdesk service management system.
- Assists with prep and delivery of college-issued computers and other devices as needed.
- Process hardware requests through Apple GSX, Dell warranty support, and out-of-support repair options.
- Participates in evaluation and selection of standard hardware and software for campus
- Creates and updates knowledge base articles in the TOPdesk service management system as appropriate.
Help Desk Operations:
- Monitors the ITS ticket queue to ensure timely attention to problems and requests.
- Updates, assigns, and escalates tickets to facilitate efficient resolution.
- Assists the Help Desk Manager with training and oversight of Help Desk tier 1 activities (call center, walk-up assistance).
- Collaborates with the Knowledge and Communications Specialist to identify and develop Knowledge Base articles to promote faster resolution of problems and requests.
Procurement & Inventory Management:
- Tracks and maintains accurate inventory data for ITS consumable items such as office supplies, cables, adapters, webcams, keyboards, and mice.
- Processes purchase requests for out-of-stock or nonstandard items.
- Monitors status, track shipping, and process delivery of purchases made by and for ITS.
- Arranges delivery of consumable items via intercampus mail, pickup, or hand delivery.
- Trains, coaches, and supervises one or more student employees to assist with procurement activities.
- Trains, coaches, and supports the Help Desk student managers.
- In collaboration with the Help Desk Manager, trains and guides the work of Help Desk student employees.
- Serves as backup manager for administrative tasks related to student management.
Partners with ITS and other Macalester faculty and staff on special projects and initiatives as appropriate.
- High School Diploma required. Technical Training, Associate’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 3-5 years experience providing hardware and software configuration and support support for both Windows and MacOS computers and operating systems as well as printers, mobile devices, and other technology in a highly variable enterprise environment.
- Experience using and supporting productivity systems such as Microsoft Office and G-Suite.
- Basic understanding of information security best practices.
- Experience with Help Desk operations and using an IT service management system.
- Experience with asset/inventory management.
- Ability to prioritize and organize assigned tasks and incorporate new tasks into existing workloads.
- Experience working with entry-level employees, student employees or volunteers. Experience supervising or overseeing the work of others. Experience training or coaching others.
- Training or experience working with individuals of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
Compensation & Benefits:
Total compensation for this position includes an annual salary range of $53,000-55,000 and offers access to Macalester’s full benefits package.
For best consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage. Priority will be given to applications received by December 7th, 2021 and the position will be posted until filled.
All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Manager
Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.BenefitsMacalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.Our Commitment to Safety in response to COVID-19:For the safety of our community, Macalester requires all employees to have received a COVID-19 vaccine. Should a newly hired employee be unable to receive the vaccination for either medical or religious reasons we offer accommodations and assistance.Questions or concerns about this process should be directed to Bob Graf, Director of Employment Services, at [email protected]