ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, ALUMNI CAREER PROGRAM, Development & Alumni Relations Tracking Code0755 Job Description
We in Boston University Development & Alumni Relations (DAR) harness the power of philanthropy to make an excellent education accessible and welcoming to all, and to advance BU’s global leadership in research, scholarship, artistic creation, and professional practice. To support our work, we have built—and are continuing to build—an outstanding team of dynamic, mission-driven advancement professionals who constantly strive to create an environment where everyone belongs. Where it’s not just about a job, but a career and a community.
Now, our Alumni Relations team is looking for an Assistant Director who will implement an online engagement strategy for alumni career programs with a strong focus on virtual programs, email and social media strategies.
Alumni Relations at Boston University
Alumni Relations at Boston University is responsible for connecting with, engaging, and helping foster lifetime connections with the 350,000+ Boston University Alumni across the globe. Alumni Relations is the first point of contact for alums looking to reconnect or engage with their alma mater through educational programs, special events, Alumni Weekend, Global Days of Service, Career and Business networking, volunteer opportunities, and Affinity Networks.
Assistant Director, Alumni Career Programs
In addition to implementing an online engagement strategy through the use of the department’s email marketing system, the Assistant Director will provide best practices through the use of engagement analytics, and create and disseminate dynamic web, social media and email content in support of Alumni Career Programs. Reporting to the Senior Associate Director for Alumni Career Programs, the Assistant Director will also support interactive media projects such as webinars and the University’s online networking community- BU Connects.
- Strategic development of email, social media and online career content: In collaboration with colleagues, define goals and develop/carry out concepts for email and website projects and components. This includes collaborating with other DAR and university-wide partners to develop robust content; identifying new opportunities for promoting alumni engagement through career programs; and implementing the design and production of assigned projects. 40%
- Technical and operational leadership of email and online alumni career support strategies: Must analyze results of efforts and redefine strategies accordingly and stay abreast of cutting edge practices on email, web/online communities, and data management and analytics. 20%
- Ongoing support of BU Connects online community. Monitor user activity and posts, prep and share career-related content and events. 10%
- Planning and strategy: Work directly with the Sr. Associate Director to plan and carry out the engagement of alumni and employers in career programming for alumni. Includes liaising with DAR, campus partners, and the Center for Career Development. 10%
- Management of pre- and post-event logistics, including building of registration pages in iModules, tracking of registrants and attendees, as well as prepping online resources and materials to be shared in post-event communications. 10%
- Management of emerging technologies initiatives: Develop strategic projects to take advantage of opportunities presented by emerging technologies and social media in partnership with the Sr. Associate Director for Alumni Career Programs and the Associate Director of Online Engagement and others in DAR. 10%
A cover letter is required for consideration.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three to five years of related experience
- Previous experience developing email and online content intended to increase constituency participation
- Working knowledge of engagement analytics
- An awareness of emerging technologies in the digital space
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends along with occasional travel
But that’s not all we’re looking for; we want someone who embodies our values:
- Teamwork, transparency, and mutual respect, because we value every member’s contributions and know that leadership can come from anywhere.
- Diversity, equity, inclusion, and a commitment to ensuring that each of us knows we belong here.
- Integrity in how we work and how we treat one another.
- Strategic thinking and curiosity in the relentless pursuit of fresh approaches and measurable results.
- Continuous growth and improvement, both as individuals and as a team.
- Joy and shared appreciation for working hard toward goals that matter.
If this resonates with you and you want to help us in our ambitious next campaign—and maybe do some of your best work as an advancement professional— we encourage you to apply.If you are hesitant to apply because you have not previously performed every responsibility listed in the description, but you do possess transferable skills, our values, and the defined qualifications, we still want to hear from you and welcome your application as well.
To learn more about Development & Alumni Relations at Boston University, and other job opportunities, please stop by the DAR Talent website: https://www.bu.edu/dar-talent/.
Boston University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require a reasonable accommodation in order to complete the employment application process, please contact the Equal Opportunity Office at 617-353-6474.
Job Location BOSTON, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular