Posting #: 3993
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Staff, Athletics
Position Title & Department:
Executive Assistant 2 (Athletics); Athletics DepartmentPosting #
As part of the University of San Diego, a Roman Catholic University, the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is committed to advancing academic and athletic excellence and enhancing students' lives while promoting the University of San Diego.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Creates and processes confidential Human Resources documents for over 100 continuing and temporary employees within the department. Creates and tracks intercollegiate athletic event competition contracts that include financial guarantees. Works closely with the A VP to plan and execute the quarterly Athletics committee meetings of the Board of Trustees. Provides day-to-day and long-range assistance to the AVP on a wide variety of assignments and special projects. Works closely with the President's Office, Vice President for Operations, Finance and Administration, Human Resources and senior athletic administrators to make sure the A VP is informed of all issues and deadlines. Exercises independent judgment and initiative in bringing information and challenges to the A VP's attention. Performs a variety of administrative and business responsibilities that reflect the A VP's priorities, the University's mission and goals, and the Mission Statement of the Athletic Department. Manages the AVP's business calendar and creates extensive travel itineraries and briefings for the A VP. Supervision received; general supervision from the A VP. Supervision exercised; shares close supervision of three student employees. Provides some work direction and supervision of Athletic Department office staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
Human Resources Management
• Completes all recruitment and hiring documentation for staffing needs in all sports and administrative areas; maintains confidential files and creates spreadsheets tracking the salary costs to the budget for use by senior management.
• Works closely with Athletic Department employees and Human Resource Department personnel to anticipate departmental needs and resolve employee concerns.
• Monitors and makes suggestions regarding the Athletics department's staffing needs to the A VP and coordinates the development and ongoing revision of all department job descriptions.• Coordinates the performance evaluation and yearly salary review program for Athletics administrators, coaches, and staff.
• Works closely with the A VP to implement personnel policies and resolve personnel issues and highly confidential personnel situations.
• Creates job postings and ensures positions are advertised in the appropriate venue to yield the most qualified candidates.
• Monitors administrators' vacation and sick time accrual and usage.
• Works closely with the A VP and the Chair of the Athletic Committee of the Board of Trustees to plan and execute the quarterly Athletic Committee of the Board of Trustees meetings. Coordinates all aspects of meeting set-up; which includes working with the President's office and the Athletic Committee Chair regarding special projects, agenda preparation, research requests, compilation of meeting minutes, and other logistics in preparation for the meetings.
• Works closely with the A VP to plan and execute weekly senior athletics administrator meetings and monthly department meetings.
• Monitors the athletic department's non-discretionary budgets
• Prepares monthly non-discretionary budget reports and documents using Workday regarding salary for use by senior management.
• Brings non-discretionary budget issues and problems to the attention of the A VP and/or appropriate administrators. Makes recommendations for resolutions.
• Creates journal entries and budget transfers.
Department Contractual Materials
• Creates, processes, monitors financial contracts between USD Athletics and other institutions for men's and women's basketball and football intercollegiate contests, including but not limited to all guarantees
(accommodations, transportation, etc.).
• Maintains files of employment contracts. Assists the A VP in fulfilling contractual obligations regarding salary increases, bonuses and other obligations.
• Uploads appropriate departmental contracts to the university's Contract Management Repository.
Associate Vice President Support
• Oversees, plans, and supervises the AVP's business calendar and travel schedule.
• Provides support for the A VP's membership in organizations, boards, and committees, internal and external to the University.
• Supports the A VP in leading an effective senior management team.
• Independently completes special projects as assigned by the A VP in a timely manner.
• Responds to parents' and students' questions and concerns by using independent judgment, following the Mission Statement of the University and the department, coordinating responses with appropriate staff members when appropriate.
• Maintains highly confidential files and correspondence with discretion and tact.
• Coordinates the University's computer replacement program for the Athletic department.
• Using independent judgment, regularly updates various internal and external departmental materials, including information in NCAA and conference directories, gender equity documents, departmental policy manual, coaches manual, and new employee manual, to ensure that University procedures are followed and properly reflected.
• Provides leadership to office staff, encouraging continuous improvement.
Special Conditions of Employment:
• Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings as needed.
• Successful completion of required background checks.
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Graduation from a college or university with a bachelor's degree highly preferred. High school diploma required.
- Three years of experience providing support at an executive level required.
- Supervisory experience strongly preferred; interest in athletics required.
- Ability to become familiar with, and follow, NCAA rules and regulations required.
- Working knowledge of state and federal employment rules and regulations required.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to initiate, coordinate, oversee, and use independent judgment to complete various projects with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate a very high level of diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong human relations skills: ability to work well with various University constituents including parents, students, administrators (including regular interaction with Trustees, the President's office, and Vice Presidents), coaches, and staff employees; vendors; existing and potential donors to USD Athletics programs; athletics administration and coaching personnel at other institutions; and athletics conference (e.g., NCAA, WCC, PCSC, WAC, and PFL) personnel; conflict resolution, decision-making and implementation skills; experience in a leadership/supervisory role.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational techniques; ability to remain calm under pressure and be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Understanding of basic accounting and budgetary procedures, as well as current human resource management policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information both for students and employees per the Buckley Amendment and USD regulations.
- Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools as identified below.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- CPR/ AED/First Aid certification required for compliance with department regulations.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions:Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: November 23, 2021 Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled