Job no: 506886
Work type: Non-Instructional Faculty (Coach/Counselor/Librarian)
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Athletics, Temporary, Part Time
San José State Athletics is an integral part of the University and exists to promote the common good through athletic competition by providing equitable opportunities for men and women to compete at the NCAA Division I level. The athletics program strives to create a diverse and inclusive environment emphasizing academics, compliance, student-athlete welfare, fair play sportsmanship and Spartan Pride. https://sjsuspartans.com/
The Softball Director of Operations is responsible for assisting the Head Coach in organizing and managing all phases of a Division I Softball program, including, team travel, strength & conditioning, student-athlete academic monitoring, alumni relations, competition scheduling, marketing and social media support, and community/donor relations.
Brief Description of Duties
- Oversee academic and personal well-being of student-athletes.
- Assist in building a nationally competitive Division I program through successful marketing and social media promotion.
- Collaborates with Head Coach, Athletic Trainers, and Strength & Conditioning Coach to help with team scheduling in and off-season.
- Assist with budgeting, reconciling expenses, and proposing purchases for sports program.
- Serve as key liaison to the broader (University) community, engaging in alumni, fund raising, and other key stakeholder activities.
- Organizes community service events for the team.
- Responsible for assisting in all phases of a Division I intercollegiate softball program which includes scheduling, recruiting, travel coordination, budgets and fundraising.
- Assist in Game day operations specifically with softball program, marketing, alumni relations, and administrative support.
- Must be committed to the academic goals of the university and follow the rules and guidelines set forth by the NCAA and the Mountain West Conference
- Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through inclusive teaching strategies and advisement.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
- Basic knowledge of marketing and social media.
- Skilled organizer and communicator.
- Master’s Degree
- Coaching experience
Salary Range - $28,944 - Part-Time (0.50 FTE)
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Athletic coach appointments are temporary by nature, expire at the end of the term stated and do not establish any future appointment rights. The position does not qualify for or lead to tenure but may be extended on an annual basis.
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Proof of immunization against COVID-19 or proof of a medical or religious exemption and compliance with testing protocols is required for employment. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
San José State University: Silicon Valley's Public University
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley — one of the most innovative regions in the world — San José State University is the founding campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system and the first public university in the West. The 2020 #1 Most Transformative University in the nation according to Money Magazine, San José State is an essential partner in the economic, cultural, and social development of Silicon Valley, the Bay Area, and California. SJSU is a top-200 school nationally in research funding and second highest in research productivity in the CSU system. This cutting-edge research, combined with its world-class scholarship, student-centered learning opportunities, and experiential and interdisciplinary programs, allows SJSU to provide transformative opportunities that advance the public good locally and globally.
San José State enrolls more than 36,000 students — many are historically underserved, and around 45% are first-generation and 38% are Pell-recipients. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution. The university’s commitment to social justice extends from its vibrant, inclusive campus to an international network of over 275,000 alumni. As such, San José State is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and community can benefit from different and divergent cultural and identity perspectives.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Advertised: November 23, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled