Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
(PR Specialist, Senior)
Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its ten undergraduate, graduate, and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business is a top-ranked graduate business school within an extensive multi-disciplinary university, dedicated to advancing the understanding of management through research and providing the highest quality education. Fuqua attracts and develops leaders who thrive on differences in people and experience, have the ability to bring out strength in others, can move teams toward a common purpose, and who inspire organizations to win in the right way. We measure our graduates’ success by their impact on workplaces and the world around them, their relationships, and their reputations. Our community is made of high-achieving students and faculty from around the world who share those values.
The Marketing Communications Manager creates and develops assets for Fuqua’s Brand Management Team that introduces prospective students to our programs, our students, our faculty, campus life, residencies, and other significant business school events.
Reporting into the Director for Global Marketing, Brand Management, the Marketing Communications Manager (level 12) is a member of an energetic team that includes experts in branding, brand strategy, brand imagery, content development, project management, and budgeting. The Brand Management Team is a key function within the school's Global Marketing department which includes colleagues focused on digital strategy, media and public relations, and market intelligence. We are passionate about the work we do and our team as a whole.
This is a position for a talented individual who can reflect the brand positioning and tone within written content and imagery that can often be complex in nature, and where accuracy of information is of the utmost importance. The right candidate will also have superior project management skills to coordinate with other departments in the school, with external vendors, and with students and faculty to complete their objectives within a given timeframe while staying on budget. Deliverables will include new and updated website content, student profiles, online reports and brochures, and printed recruiting collateral.
- Create and administer content management and project communications plans
- Write and/or edit compelling marketing content for websites, brochures, reports, and recruiting collateral
- Project management of key deliverables, including:
- Solicit nominations for students to profile for website; select a compelling roster, obtain student profile input, organize photography, and write profiles
- Create/update annual recruiting collateral pieces to meet Admissions team recruiting cycles
- Produce error-free graduation announcements/invitations and programs on a tight timetable with great attention to detail
- Maintain an up-to-date website including event calendar, links, content, and imagery, refreshing these regularly to keep website appearance fresh
- Oversee the Production Coordinator’s work, ensuring vendor capability, scheduling, proof review, and costs meet needs and are of the quality warranted by a top-tier institution
- Maintain useful Marketing wiki site, ensuring updated collateral and logos are posted for business school staff and faculty
- Generate ideas for and produce admitted student “swag” that meets trademark and licensing requirements, maintains, or reduces budget, and is a compelling gift to an undecided student
- Produce and maintain helpful guidance materials such as a updated messaging toolkit and create documentation for other marketing processes as needed
A Bachelor’s degree preferred in marketing, journalism, English, communications, or related field
- Minimum of two years’ experience producing marketing content for print and websites (five years preferred)
- Demonstrated knowledge of branding, advertising, and marketing principles
- Experience planning and managing projects in a lead capacity
- Experience with Content Management Systems (e.g. Drupal) strongly preferred
- Experience creating and leveraging compelling infographics
- Understanding of Google Analytics and other metrics
- Personal Characteristics
- Demonstrated creativity and attention to detail
- Meet or exceed expectations on a per project basis in terms of content, quality, and turn-around time
- Must be a self-starter
- Must be able to manage several projects simultaneously and efficiently and work under firm deadlines
- Superior attention to detail
- Understanding of how content, design, form/format, navigation, and usability work together for effective communication across multiple channels
- Interest in photography, videography, or an eye for design preferred
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.