Human ResourcesCommitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Pittsburgh Technical College (PTC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to PTC students and employees is essential.About PTC:
Pittsburgh Technical College is a private, non-profit and regionally accredited institution committed to higher education excellence and focused on academic and professional success. Located in Western Pennsylvania since 1946, PTC awards associate and bachelor’s degrees and certificates in these areas: Business, Criminal Justice, Culinary Arts, Hospitality, Design and Engineering Technology, Healthcare, Nursing, Information Systems and Technology, Trades Technology, and Energy and Electronics Technology. The PTC college experience is empowering and culminates in internships and clinical rotations for on-campus, degree-seeking students.Purpose of Job:
The Payroll/HR Assistant is primarily responsible for processing payroll and maintaining the employee database regarding salary and pay. Solid understanding of accounting fundamentals and payroll best practices. Participate in discussions to improve payroll service performance and payroll system. Must be professional in dealing with confidential information. Maintain all payroll operations according to PTC’s policies and procedures.
ATTRIBUTES AND COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent communication skills
- Good math and communication skills
- Outstanding organizational ability with great attention to detail
- Strong attention to detail
- Trustworthy with attention to confidentiality
REQUIRED EDUCATION: High School Diploma or G.E.D equivalency. PREFERRED EDUCATION: Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in business or accounting preferred PREFERRED TRAINING OR CERTIFICATIONS:
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
- Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC)
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Minimum of two years office experience with a concentration in fundamentals of accounting principles. Responsibilities:
- Prior experience working with ADP – required (experience with Workforce Now a plus)
- Excellent work processing skills in MS Office Suite, including Excel required
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Minimum of two years office experience with a concentration in fundamentals of accounting principles
- Compile and input computerized payroll, which requires recording changes affecting net wages such as insurance contributions, computer payments, overtime payments, adjustments for leaves, 401(k), etc. Distribute paychecks.
- Maintain HR Profile Database.
- Prepare periodic reports of earnings and deductions.
- Enroll new hires in benefit programs and handle day-to-day benefit administration questions.
- Maintain human resource records which includes:
Insurance coverage – verifying accuracy of monthly insurance bills, adding, and deleting employees as required personnel transactions such as new hires, promotions, salary changes, and terminations Typing related departmental correspondence, records, and forms Filing and ensuring personnel files remain up to date Monitoring hours and earnings for 401(k) contributions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Preparing required 401(k) report
- Review monthly time sheets and post to master list
- Record vacation, sick time and other time off work used by employees
- Track vacation and sick leave entitlement of employees
- Knowledge of tax and wage laws and common fiscal procedures
- Knowledge of payroll software is beneficial
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism and discretion with confidential information.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Proven experience in a payroll position in a fast-paced environment required
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Pittsburgh Technical College (hereinafter “PTC”) will make reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with known disabilities if such accommodation would allow the individual to perform the essential functions of the job, unless doing so would result in an undue hardship and/or a direct threat to the health and/or safety of the individual or others.Other Job Information:
REMOTE WORK: (Section 505: Alternative work schedules)Work Schedule:
This Policy applies to regular, full-time administrative professional and support staff employees who live within daily commuting distance of the Pittsburgh Technical College (hereinafter “PTC”) campus location in Oakdale, PA. The purpose of this policy is to provide guidance on remote working to employees and managers in establishing alternate work arrangements for qualifying employees whose responsibilities can be performed outside the customary/traditional office setting during part of the work week. This policy addresses regular, on-going arrangements and will be modified or discontinued as business needs necessitate. For additional information, please contact [email protected]
BENEFITS: Available for full-time employees.To request benefits overview, please email [email protected] TRAVEL: None PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS: Must pass a criminal background check before starting position. OTHER JOB INFORMATION:PTC has taken the position that all new hires must have the COVID-19 Vaccine. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for all new employment with PTC. SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:Please answer all questions on the application. DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT:PTC is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all positions. PTC believes that the gathering and celebration of unique experiences, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace. Our mission is to champion a community of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in a spirit of civility. To learn more about DEI’s mission, vision, and values, Visit the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion webpage ACCOMODATION STATEMENT:Pittsburgh Technical College (PTC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or veteran status. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), PTC does not discriminate against applicants, employees, or students with qualifying disabilities. PTC will provide reasonable accommodation when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with a disability. To request reasonable accommodation, please email [email protected]
WORK SCHEDULE: Full-time – 40 hours per week; 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. with 30-minute unpaid lunch.Three days per week – work schedule will be a hybrid on campus and virtual
Starting Pay Rate:
- Equipment used includes desktop or laptop with Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone, and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work generally performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
Competitive salaryJob Category:
StaffFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimePosting Number:
S087PJob Open Date:
11/02/2021Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions Summary:
Please answer all of the pre-qualification questions, and include the minimum salary requirement on the cover letter.