Bard Prison InitiativeSite Director for Albion Correctional Facility, Bard Prison InitiativeEmployer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/99051
The Site Director at Albion Correctional Facility is a part-time, benefits-eligible position of the Bard Prison Initiative (BPI). Albion is located in northwestern New York State near Rochester and Buffalo; the site director position requires being on-site at Albion Correctional Facility two or three times a week and working remotely the remaining time.
Site Directors are the primary representatives of Bard College at BPI’s in-prison campuses and bear responsibility for cultivating college community, fostering shared ambition, and inspiring intellectual curiosity among students and faculty. They manage daily college operations and are the primary liaison between BPI’s administration and its students and faculty, as well as the correctional facility staff.
Site Directors are also members of the BPI faculty; this position includes teaching at Albion Correctional Facility. Candidates with college teaching experience in any field of the liberal arts and sciences are welcome to apply.
The successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation and religion.
Bard College has a vaccination requirement for students, faculty, and staff, including this position. About BPI
Formed in 1999 to address the mass incarceration crisis, the Bard Prison Initiative (BPI) defies expectations of who college is for and where it might lead. For twenty years, BPI has reimagined and redefined questions of availability, affordability, and expectations typically associated with college in America. One of the most rigorous and effective college-in-prison programs in the country, BPI is now extending its radical intervention in educational inequity outside of prison through the Bard Microcolleges and BardBac.Roles & Responsibilities
- To know the Bard student body at Albion well and be the principal liaison between students and the BPI administration;
- To serve as academic advisor;
- To ensure that classes, tutoring, and other on-site activities run smoothly on schedule;
- To develop good working relationships with the Albion administration;
- To address faculty needs and be the principal liaison between the Bard faculty and the BPI administration; and
- To troubleshoot problems that arise.
The site director is on site at Albion two or three times each week. This position also includes participation in regular weekly or every-other-week online site director meetings, attendance at weekly online BPI check-in meetings, and participation in the annual admission process, including reading essays.Qualifications
- Commitment to BPI’s mission of defying expectations of who college is for and where it might lead
- Candidates must have college teaching experience.
- This position requires a high level of organization, close communication with colleagues, timely follow-through, and consistent leadership.
- Site directors need to maintain volunteer clearance status with the Department of Corrections.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time and work in standard office environment
- Must be able to occasionally lift 20 pounds
- Must have personal transportation to Albion Correctional Facility
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the names of three references by following this link through Interfolio at: http://apply.interfolio.com/99051Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information.
Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.