Classification Title / Rank:
Assistant ProfessorClassification Code:
Assistant/Associate Professor in Literacy EducationDepartment:
Foundations, Curric & InstructPosition Type:
PFAC - Slotted FacultyFull or Part Time:
9 mo.Does this position require driving?:
The Spadoni College of Education and Social Sciences at Coastal Carolina University invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant and/or Associate Professor of Literacy Education. The successful applicant will be appointed to a full-time nine-month position to begin August 2022. Required Qualifications:
The Literacy Education Program at Coastal Carolina University provides reading coursework for undergraduate education majors. In addition, the M.Ed. in Language, Literacy, and Culture degree program offers two areas of concentration. The Literacy concentration includes coursework that may be used to apply for the add-on Literacy Teacher and Literacy Coach certification from the South Carolina Department of Education and may be used to fulfill requirements for Read to Succeed endorsements as mandated by recent legislation. The Language and Culture concentration includes coursework which may be used to apply for the add-on ESOL certificate from the South Carolina Department of Education. Required Qualifications:
Required qualifications for this position include:
• a conferred doctorate in literacy education or closely related field (or ABD will be considered if defense is by August 2022); • experience teaching undergraduate and/or graduate level literacy education courses;
• a minimum of three years experience successfully teaching reading to elementary students in a full-time capacity in a United States public school. *at least 18 hours in successful ESOL coursework at the graduate level; *experience working with ESOL students in a United States public school setting; • experience or evidence of potential and a willingness to support candidates through the dissertation process, by serving as a committee member and/or committee chair on graduate student dissertation committees; and • excellent oral and written communication skills. Desired Qualifications:
Desired qualifications for this position include:
• experience in developing and delivering both synchronous and asynchronous distance education courses as well as face to face classes;
• experience as a literacy or reading coach;
• experience with program planning and accreditation responsibilities;
• potential for leadership in program planning or in professional organizations;
• record of consistent scholarly productivity through peer-reviewed publications and presentations; and
• success with funded grants and projects. Responsibilities:
The duties include teaching, research, and service. Specific responsibilities will include:
• Providing leadership and instruction in ESOL graduate course offerings as well as teaching undergraduate and graduate literacy education courses. · Engaging in scholarly activity· Engaging in service to the program, department, college, university, and profession.· Collaborating with colleagues in the program, department, university, and PreK-12 schools· Supervising students in field-based experiences· Advising and recruiting graduate students. The Spadoni College is a CAEP accredited institution. More than 1,200 undergraduate and graduate students are currently majoring in education programs at Coastal Carolina University. The Spadoni College offers undergraduate programs in early childhood education, elementary education, middle level education, physical education, and special education. Graduate programs include the Master of Arts in Teaching – Secondary Education degree with concentrations in English, social studies, mathematics, and science; Master of Education and Educational Specialists degrees in Educational Leadership; Master of Education and Educational Specialists degrees in Instructional Technology, Master of Education in Special Education, Master of Education in Language, Literacy, and Culture, and an interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Education. The faculty and administrators in the Spadoni College, along with professional staff across the University, will provide meaningful support for your teaching and scholarship as elements of your personal and professional career development. We encourage you to grow professionally, and we support a healthy work-life integration.
Coastal Carolina University is a public comprehensive liberal arts institution located in Conway, South Carolina, minutes from the Atlantic coastal resort city of Myrtle Beach. Coastal Carolina University enrolls over 10,000 students from 46 states and 53 nations. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the baccalaureate and selective master’s degrees of national and/or regional significance in the arts and sciences, business, humanities, education, and health and human services, a specialist degree in educational leadership, and Ph.D. degrees in Marine Science and Education.
Coastal Carolina University is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
Interested candidates should submit: a letter of application (outlining interest in the position with the specified qualifications and approach to teaching), current curriculum vitae, copies of transcripts of all graduate work (copies are acceptable at this time), a statement of teaching philosophy and research interests, and a contact information for least three (3) professional references. All information and material must be submitted electronically at http://jobs.coastal.edu. Applicants that are invited for interviews must provide official transcripts of all graduate coursework prior to visiting campus. Review of applications and materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Coastal Carolina University is an EO/AA employer.
A conferred doctorate in literacy education, curriculum and instruction with a focus in literacy and ESOL education, or closely related field (or ABD will be considered if defense is by August 2021). Experience teaching undergraduate and/or graduate level literacy education courses. A minimum of three years successful teaching experience with ESOL students in a United States public school serving grades prekindergarten through sixth grade Qualifications include ESOL certification. Preferred Qualifications:
Experience in developing and delivering both synchronous and asynchronous distance education courses as well as face to face classes. Experience as a literacy or reading coach. Experience with program planning and accreditation responsibilities. Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Experience and/or scholarship in the philosophical and theoretical underpinnings of quantitative, qualitative, and/or mixed methods research; experience or evidence of potential to support candidates through the Dissertation process, by serving as a committee member and/or committee chair on graduate student dissertation committees; and excellent oral and written communication skills. Expertise in multiple statistical software programs (e.g., R, SAS, STATA, SPSS); expertise in qualitative software programs (e.g., Dedoose, NVivo); potential for leadership in program planning or in professional organizations; record of consistent scholarly productivity through peer-reviewed publications and presentations; and success with funded grants and projects is preferred. A potential for or record of excellence in university teaching, research, and service.Posting Number:
F00237PNumber of Vacancies:
1Desired Start Date:
08/16/2022Job Open Date:
11/16/2021Open Until Filled:
YesQuicklink for Posting: