Orientation Leader (Returning Applicant)Posting Number:
VP Student AffairsDivision:
New Student & Leadership ProgramWork Study Required?:
SUMMER 2022 JOBMinimum Qualifications:
We are excited to see that you are interested in applying to be an Orientation Leader! As an orientation leader, you will serve as a member of the Cardinal Orientation Team. Throughout your role you’ll have the opportunity to make an impact on the Lamar community by welcoming incoming students and their family members. Additionally, you’ll be able to develop your leadership abilities, build lasting connections, and share your love for Lamar.
Please read all information and complete the application thoroughly. For more information, contact the Department of New Student and Leadership Programs at 409-880-7775 or [email protected]
Orientation Leaders are members of the Cardinal Orientation Team and are responsible for assisting all new students and their families with their transition into the Lamar community. Orientation Leaders are required to attend all trainings, orientation dates during the summer, and all Week of Welcome events. Orientation Leaders serve as the first face of Lamar and are required to: perform in skits, lead small group sessions, inform students of campus resources and services, assist family members/guests with questions, and facilitate the implementation of events. Ultimately, the purpose of this position is to assist new students and family members with their transition to Lamar University and acclimate students to the culture and resources available to them.
60% of your time in this job will be spent serving as Orientation Leader on Orientation Session Days. Assists in the preparation and implementation of Orientation Sessions. This includes assisting with the registration process, conducting small groups, informing students of resources available at the university, answering questions about Lamar University, and all other duties assigned.
20% of your time will be spent in Trainings
15% of your time will be spent assisting with Week of Welcome events
5% will be spent on Other Duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Preferred pre-existing knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to be customer service-oriented and work well with others
- Ability to communicate professionally and courteously to university faculty and staff, students, and the general public
- Be people-oriented, with social judgement and problem-solving abilities; able to balance academic, student, business, and human considerations; strong ability to perform well and be unfailingly diplomatic in a complex college environment
- Ability to maintain appropriate relationships with students and campus professionals
- Experience presenting to large and small groups of people
- Ability to carry out specific instructions with little guidance
- Experience with Self Service Banner, LEA account, LUHub, and the Lamar University website
Knowledge, skills, and abilities you will need to have the capacity to become proficient in:
- Respectable written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; the ability to develop and maintain professional relationships and work as a collaborator with faculty, staff, students, and University guests
- Learn extensive knowledge of campus academic resources
- Know involvement opportunities and organizations for student participation
- Communicate accurate information related to university policies and procedures
- Serve as a mentor for students
- Effectively manage diverse groups including students and university guests
- Deal with confidential information and disseminate accurate responses
- Understand and support the purpose of the Summer Orientation Program and the mission of Lamar University
This position is for undergraduate students only
Good academic standing, with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above
Good judicial standing with no outstanding judicial sanctions (contact New Student and Leadership Programs if you have questions)
Demonstrate the ability to be reliable, responsible, confident, flexible, and willing to help
Demonstrate the ability to work and communicate effectively with a diverse group of team members, students, parents, and LU faculty and staff
Demonstrate a desire to learn more about the university and help others learn about LU and college life. Additional Instructions for Applicants:
Working as an Orientation Leader requires that you be available on the dates listed below. EEO Statement:
GROUP INTERVIEWS: If you are selected to move forward in the process after the written application, you will be required to attend a group interview the evening of Friday, March 4th.
INDIVIDUAL INTERVIEWS: If you are selected to move forward in the process after group interviews, you will be required to sign up for a 30-minute individual interview the week of March 21st.
CO TEAM KICKOFF: If you are selected to be a member of the 2021 Cardinal Orientation Team you will be required to attend our kickoff event that will review important aspects of the job. This event will be held in April.
ORIENTATION LEADER TRAINING REQUIREMENTS:
CO Team Retreat: 2-3 days in May 2022 (finalized dates TBD)
*CO Team Training: 1-2 weeks in June 2022 (finalized dates TBD)
*On-campus housing will be provided and required during these trainings
NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION DATES:
Weekends in June, July, and August 2022 (finalized dates TBD)
Please make sure to be open and available the day before all orientation dates. You may be required to assist with necessary set up or other tasks to ensure the success of an Orientation session
FAMILY AND FRIENDS PREVIEW DAY:
Weekend in July
WEEK OF WELCOME DATES: August 2022 (finalized dates TBD)
There is a possibility that future training or required events may be added to the schedule that you will be required to attend. You will receive ample notice of these dates
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Security Sensitive Statement:
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.