Executive Director and Associate Dean for Anti-Racism, Equity Diversity, and Inclusion
University of California Los Angeles
The Executive Director and Associate Dean for Anti-Racism, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (AEDI) will have demonstrated experience and expertise in promoting and advancing anti- racism, equity, diversity, and inclusion in higher education, the arts, and scholarly/creative practices.
The Executive Director and Associate Dean for AEDI will serve on the school's leadership team and report to the Dean of UCLA Arts. This position has intentionally been formed with two distinct titles. The incumbent will partner with school leadership, including academic department chairs and public arts unit directors, to advance the strategic plan for UCLA Arts that is grounded in values of Anti-Racism, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and will guide the Anti- Racism, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (AEDI) Council. The incumbent will also collaborate with university partners and external stakeholders to develop and carry out initiatives that contribute to the school's strategic goals. The incumbent will coordinate initiatives across the school and will serve as the Equity Advisor on the UCLA Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Office to help facilitate coordination of campus-wide diversity and inclusion best practices.
UCLA Arts recently engaged in a strategic planning process. The UCLA Arts Strategic Plan 2025 aims to transform the climate and culture of the School of the Arts and Architecture. The overarching goal of the UCLA Arts Strategic Plan 2025 is to create an environment that supports and incorporates AEDI through the following aims:
Role and Responsibilities of the Executive Director:
- Curriculum. Create a culturally responsive learning environment by deconstructing Eurocentric and white-supremacist academic models through inclusive curricula and pedagogies.
- Training and Professional Development. Raise awareness about the impacts of systemic racism on the personal, academic, and public lives of our school community and provide concrete tools to address and mitigate racist behavior; and professional development opportunities, including mentorships and internships.
- Structure, Accountability, Restoration, and Recruitment. Transform the school's structure to establish and maintain protocols for accountability, transparency, and equity.
Role and Responsibilities of the Associate Dean:
- Partner with UCLA Arts leadership to create a climate that is welcoming, inclusive, and supportive of a diverse community of faculty, staff, and students, with particular focus on supporting underrepresented community members.
- Partner with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and the Assistant Dean for Administration to initiate and complete strategic projects and initiatives.
- Oversee the development of annual school-wide anti-racism training for faculty and staff.
- Provide annual reports to the Dean on AEDI initiatives, demographic trends and objective outcomes, strategic goals, and future plans.
- Collaborate and partner with the UCLA Arts Faculty Executive Council, Staff Advisory Council, and the Student Council.
- Co-sponsor educational experiences, curricular and co-curricular, that foster faculty and learner education in anti-racism, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Work closely with UCLA Arts Strategic Communications and Development to advance and strengthen outreach, external partnerships, and to ensure inclusiveness and accessibilities throughout the school.
To apply, please visit: https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/JPF06968
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy, https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscHarassAffirmAction
- Serve as Equity Advisor for UCLA Arts. UCLA Equity Advisors are distributed throughout the University, and leverage their direct experience with local culture and climate to advise the dean in terms of strategy, policy, training, climate, and accountability. Collaborate with the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion to cultivate new initiatives, and implement and evaluate existing efforts.
- Oversee a school-wide climate assessment with an external consultant, and any follow- up assessments to evaluate the school climate as it relates to AEDI, and the effectiveness of initiatives implemented.
- Work with the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion to address grievances related to AEDI issues.
- Be a resource to academic departments in their effort to recruit and retain a diverse faculty.
- Work closely with faculty, staff, administrators, students, and search committees to identify effective strategies for attracting diverse candidates and addressing bias in the screening and selection process. Overseeing implicit bias training for all search and selection committees.