Assistant Manager, Shuttle Location:
Shuttle Services Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
A pre-employment drug screening must be passed prior to incumbent beginning job functions. Incumbents in this position are subject to routine drug screening.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
Leadership Responsibility – 65%
- Supervises 9-month FTE drivers, Part-time temp drivers or student shuttle drivers
- Assume responsibility of department in absence of Assistant Director
- Assists Assistant Director in overall management including maintenance, training, charter service, day operations and night operations
Transportation and Maintenance – 25%
- Drives a bus, tram or van to transport passengers along a scheduled route on campus.
- Drives a bus, tram or van to transport passengers to university events locally or within the state.
- Drives a van to transport disabled students.
- Performs service and maintenance of university vehicles such as cleaning interior and exterior, changing oil and lubing vehicle or changing tires and light bulbs.
- Makes pre-trip inspection of vehicle in compliance with state regulations
- Conducts bi-weekly vehicle inspection including pre/ post-trip reviews
- Keeps vehicle and passenger logs.
- Locates and picks up vehicle parts.
- Maintains cleanliness of station and garage area.
Strategic Planning and Training - 5%
- Schedule, organize and provide CDL training
- Assist in strategic planning as requested
Other – 5%
Note: Both indoor and outdoor working conditions, including extreme conditions when assisting with snow removal. Overtime is necessary including mandatory work days during training week and special events such as Commencement.
- Five years of experience driving buses, trams or passenger vans; or any combination of passenger driving experience with a former chauffeur's drivers license; AND, three years of relevant supervisory/office management experience; AND,
- Possession of a valid Arizona Class D driver's license upon employment; AND,
- Possession of a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class B or Class C upon employment; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Note: Possession of a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class B or Class C is not required if the vehicle transports 1-15 passengers
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of motor vehicle laws.
- Skill in operating a bus, van or tram.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Knowledge of office management practices.
- Knowledge of parking and tram operations and procedures.
- Skill in organizing work activities and people.
- The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
Under the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations, NAU expects all employees, including new hires, to be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. Proof of vaccination will be required by January 18, 2022. For questions about vaccines and medical or religious accommodations, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $47,634. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
Applications received by January 31, 2022 will be given full consideration. Applications received after that date may be considered until the position is filled.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.