FACULTY AND RESEARCH SUPPORT MANAGER
Number of Vacancies:
Office of Research Administration
Scope of Job:
Manages the day-to-day operation, security, system administration and maintenance of high-performance computing (HPC) systems to accomplish the research objectives of faculty and students at the University. Provides user support, documentation, and consulting services to ensure the effective use of research computation resources for faculty members and students.
Description of Duties:
- Responsible for the system administration and security for research computation resources for faculty members and students.
- Evaluates the research needs of faculty members and develops strategies to provide appropriate computation services.
- Provides one-on-one consultation to faculty, students, and staff; employs best practices use of various software systems authorized by Information Technology.
- Assists researchers with hardware design, implementation, and evaluation of research tools including, but not limited to, visualization systems, data loggers, and microprocessor systems.
- Assists faculty members in preparation of grant requests by helping to specify associated IT requirements.
- Conducts ongoing technology assessment of research systems and products.
- Establishes effective relations with relevant external research computing organizations, researchers, and other university departments.
- Monitors compliance and recommends changes, additions and deletions in policies as appropriate to ensure currency with applicable laws and regulations.
- Determines effectiveness of current programs, policies and procedures and recommends revisions accordingly.
- Conducts research and analysis, and prepares presentations, memos and reports as needed.
- Manages the team operations for effectiveness and efficiency including assignment management and prioritizations.
- Creates, maintains, and fosters working relationships with different areas of IT to be able to provide appropriate support.
- Assists team in resolving non-routine or complex application and procedural problems.
- Develops and implements internal processes to ensure service tickets are resolved in a professional, timely manner.
- Interface with vendors for the resolution of hardware/software issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology, or related area from an accredited university.
PhD in computer science or computer engineering, or related science or engineering field from an accredited university.
Preferred: ITIL Foundation Certification
Three (3) years of experience in the design, integration, analysis, and/or administration of information technology systems. Programming experience in languages (e.g., Python, C, C++) and use of software libraries (e.g., CUDA, MPI) that are relevant to high-level scientific computing Working knowledge of computer architecture, storage, programming concepts, and large-scale computing is required.
Experience in GPU-based computing. Research experience in areas involving machine learning, data science, or data analytics with HPC clusters and AI frameworks (i.e., Tensorflow or Pytorch).
Use of standard office equipment. Familiarity with automated tools for job scheduling (e.g., SLURM), cluster management, and real-time monitoring.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required.
Knowledge of system administration for a high uptime shared-computing facility under a Unix-based operating system, including expertise in Unix shell programming and related tools. Analytical, customer service and communication skills are needed to establish a working relationship with researchers and to determine their needs. Ability to think strategically, tactically, and creatively to resolve problems. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Excellent project management skills with ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment. Strong knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies. Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
Commensurate with experience
Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date:
Grant Funded Position:
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non-discrimination in its education programs and activities, including employment. We encourage women, minorities and differently abled persons to apply for employment positions of interest.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
- Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or [email protected]
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/31696
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency