Assistant Professor of Public Administration Location:
Savannah State Recruiting Loc Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Savannah State University established in 1890, is the first public historically black college or university in the state of Georgia and the first institution of higher learning in the city of Savannah. The university’s students select majors from four colleges — Business Administration, Education, Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and Sciences and Technology. The campus is by far the most picturesque in the state of Georgia. The moss-laden sweeping oak trees, expansive marsh and historic architecture create a resplendent yet tranquil atmosphere. Beneath the beauty and splendor is a vibrant residential campus bursting at the seams with the vim and vigor of quality collegiate life: relevant academic majors, engaging lectures, cutting-edge research, quality student-faculty engagement and a nurturing environment.
Job Summary Savannah State University seeks qualified applicants for Assistant Professor of Public Administration Tenure Track in the Department of Political Science and Public Affairs of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS); this appointment will begin fall 2022. The Master of Public Administration (MPA) is accredited by the Commission on Peer Review and Accreditation of the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA). The MPA and the Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Organizations and Leadership programs welcome applications from individuals who are prepared to teach core courses and electives. The Master of Public Administration program at Savannah State University recognizes the critical importance of building diverse teams of scholars.Competitive candidates will be student-centered, effective teachers who will also be expected to engage in research, academic advising and mentorship, and community service. Familiarity with NASPAA accreditation standards and program assessment is needed. Responsibilities
- The normal teaching load is 9 (nine) hours per semester, performing assessment based on NASPAA standards of accreditation and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
- Advising, mentorship and community service responsibilities are also expected
- Faculty may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically delineated in this description
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Applicants must hold an earned Ph.D. in Public Administration, Public Affairs, or Public Policy
- Evidence of previous success in professional instruction or training
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Experienced at teaching core MPA courses such as: Public Budgeting & Finance, and Information Resources ManagementElectives courses include: Policy Analysis and Evaluation, Nonprofit Management. The candidate must demonstrate a commitment to: (1) building a research agenda and publication record; (2) community outreach and engagement with local, regional, and national and/or international nonprofit organizations; (3) a deep commitment to diversity and inclusion demonstrated through pedagogy, research and/or public engagement.
Apply Before Date
The position will remain open until filled. For full consideration, please apply by January 31, 2022
For technical support, please call OneUSG Connect Support at (877) 251.2644, or by email at [email protected]
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Savannah State University, as determined by Savannah State University, its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test. Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Savannah State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Savannah State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Savannah State University, Office of Human Resources at [email protected]. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Office of Human Resources at [email protected].
Special Applicant Instructions
- List of References - Provide names and contact information (email addresses and phone numbers) for at least three (3) professional references
- Reference Letters - Submit three (3) Letters of Recommendation. The letters of recommendation should be submitted as one PDF file
- Teaching Philosophy - Include a personal diversity statement in your teaching philosophy
- Additional Documents -Upload student evaluations received in the last two years of teaching. All files should be submitted as one PDF file