Date: November 8, 2021
Title: Administrative Assistant for Student Experience
Description: Under the direction of the Director of Student and Community Engagement, the Administrative Assistant for Student Experience is responsible for providing administrative assistance to the offices of Student and Community Engagement; Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging; and Wellness and Health Promotion. The administrative assistant will be responsible for the day-to-day operational functions of these Student Experience offices, including all aspects of reception/customer service, Student Government Association club financials, and project management. This position exists to support the programmatic, events and departmental needs associated with finance, monitoring budgets, preparing forms, reconciling accounts, purchasing, credit card statements, travel advances and conference scheduling, etc.
General administrative support to Student and Community Engagement, Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging, and Wellness & Health Promotion. (30%)
- Reception and answering phone (Student Experience)
- Manage staff calendars/set up appointments
- Manage Datatel Informer reports and data entry as requested
- Update as appropriate Navigate tags for Student Experience related activities
- Assist with special projects and serve on committees as requested
- Monitor and respond to departmental email accounts including Navigate alert emails
- Manage website updates regularly and as requested
- Office management (mail & package distribution, updating time off calendar, etc)
- Will support and attend key signature College events, but not limited to Commencement, True Blue Weekend, WickWeek, Honors Convocation, Student Leadership Awards and Student Showcase
- Will support and execute the key elements of FlightPath
- Maintain positive relationships with internal and external constituents
- Comply with all applicable College, federal, state, local and associational laws, rules and regulations
- As a representative of the College, comport oneself in a professional manner at all times, both on and off campus
- Assist with event coordination as requested; including attendance on some evenings and weekends
- Serve as backup for other administrative assistant during leave times and transitions
- Other duties as assigned
Financial- Student Government Association, Student & Community Engagement; Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging; Wellness and Health Promotion, and AVPSE (50%)
- Serve as primary liaison to Department of Finance, and ensure proper execution of College expectations/policies related to spending and fund management
- Manage departmental purchases, deposits, material requisitions, check requests, purchase orders, credit card reconciliations, travel expenses, petty cash acquisition and arrangements
- Manage Student Government and student organizations general and agency accounts in Hartlink and reconcile through WebAdvisor
- Directly interact with student club & organization leaders and perform issuances of deposits, material requisitions, purchase orders, travel advances, petty cash, credit cards, and Wal-Mart cards
- Purchase items for student organizations and manage travel schedules, reservations and arrangements for their off campus trips and submit travel expense reports
- Coordinate Student Government van reservations, registration, inspection and vehicle maintenance
- Process material requisitions and check requests for payments on annual contracts related to Oneonta Public Transit and Presence (Hartlink)
- Track and verify student organizations and clubs purchases and deliveries
Additional Responsibilities (20%)
- Projects supporting Student and Community Engagement, Wellness & Health Promotion and Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging offices
- Organize flyer and poster distribution
- Ensure that Bulletin Board marketing, promotion and passive education is completed in a timely fashion through the hiring and supervision of work student students as directed
- Community vendor and tabling reservations and coordination as directed by the Director of Student and Community Engagement
- Be intentional about celebrating and recognizing members on the Student Experience floor to boost morale
Qualifications: Minimum requirements for this position are an Associate’s degree (Bachelor’s degree preferred) from an accredited college or university and at least three years’ experience preferably in a fast-paced office environment. Strong budget management and accounting experience is required.
Strong budget management and accounting experience is required. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong multi-tasking and time management skills, customer service focused and comfort interfacing with a diverse and vibrant community of professionals are required. Demonstrated knowledge of Windows based computer software is required and past experience working with college student groups, Microsoft Office, WebAdvisor, Hartlink, and Datatel is preferred.
These offices are extremely busy and require an individual with proven experiences in handling confidential materials, multi-tasking, and handling sensitive situations in a calm, thoughtful and professional manner. Strong proofreading, attention to detail, and follow through skills are essential as well as flexibility, a positive attitude, and the ability to work efficiently in a busy environment while handling multiple priorities. The successful candidate must be able to manage deadlines, work independently, be a critical thinker & problem solver and function as a solid team member. A successful candidate will be comfortable taking initiative, but also knows when to ask for help.
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the start of their employment.
An independent, residential liberal arts college enrolling approximately 1,200 full-time undergraduates, Hartwick embraces the teacher-scholar model, with teaching excellence as the first priority, and seeks to recruit, retain and promote a diverse workforce. The College features a Liberal Arts in Practice general education curriculum and aspires to “be the best at melding liberal arts education with experiential learning.”
Hartwick operates as a community of learners where there is a very real sense of belonging and connection. By joining Hartwick, you become part of a group of people who work together, share in our successes, and a celebrate our accomplishments. All positions at Hartwick contribute to the education and development of students with the opportunity to see the impact on future leaders—what you do at Hartwick really matters.
Our beautiful 425-acre campus is located in the scenic Susquehanna River valley in Oneonta, New York—a charming town near the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains. Hartwick offers health benefits to domestic partners of employees, flexible scheduling, opportunities to engage in athletic and cultural events (concerts, exhibits, and lectures) and tuition benefits for eligible employees and their dependents.
Hartwick College prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression and is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to broadening “the understanding, awareness, and appreciation of diversity among all members of the Hartwick community.” Women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Hartwick College is committed to providing a safe and secure educational and employment environment. Employment at Hartwick College is therefore contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.
Hartwick College is committed to a diverse candidate pool, values an inclusive workforce and workplace environment, and wishes to minimize or eliminate the impact of implicit bias during the search and hiring process.
All applicants are asked to submit the following materials with their online applications:
- A cover letter;
- A resume;
- A Diversity Statement that addresses how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick College’s Diversity Statement (https://www.hartwick.edu/campus-life/intercultural-affairs/diversity-at-hartwick/); and
- The names and contact information for three references, with annotation regarding how the reference is related to you and your work (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or previous supervisor).
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.