Director of Marketing and Communications
Posting #: 3978
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Administrator, Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies
Position Title & Department: Director of Marketing and Communications; Kroc School of Peace Studies
We are a community of life-long learners focused on world-changing research, immersive training, and developing individuals' skills for shaping a better tomorrow. We put theory to action with a profound attention to the context and lived experiences of those affected by violence and injustice. As Joan B. Kroc said, "it's not enough to talk about peace — we must make peace by taking action." Since 2000, we have cultivated the courage and capacity in students to face the world's most pressing challenges with original thinking, moral imagination, practical skills and inspired research. Here, changemakers from countries all over the world connect and collaborate through learning that goes beyond papers and presentations. We roll up our sleeves together and take action. Here, you won't just talk about a crisis or world issues, you will learn how to apply critical theory and data to make meaningful change.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity's urgent challenges.
The Director of Marketing and Communications (DMC) is a leadership position within the Kroc School. The DMC is a visionary, creative, mission-driven, and entrepreneurial individual with the expertise to lead distinctive marketing and communication initiatives that generate excitement about peace education and increase awareness of the School at the local, national and international level. The person in this role is responsible for leading the development and implementation of marketing, branding, communications (internal and external) and public relations strategies across the Kroc School. The DMC will develop and direct strategies to enhance the visibility and reputation of the Kroc School, and by extension the greater university, including all appropriate digital, print and interactive media. As the senior marketing and communications team member for the Kroc School, this individual will be responsible for the overarching strategy in marketing and communications to advance the mission and vision of the School as well as oversee and guide individual units' initiatives in this area.
Overall Development and Implementation of strategy and plans:
•	Develop effective internal communications and outreach strategies.
•	Lead, drive, and oversee the implementation of both the Kroc School and units marketing, branding & PR plans to advance positioning and overall reputation in the long and short term.
•	Lead and oversee the Kroc School's comprehensive digital presence, with special attention to websites, social media and SEO, to enhance recruiting efforts, national and international reputation, development activities and alumni connections.
•	Develop processes to ensure that marketing strategies and plans are consistently in place for the Kroc School, and activities and outcomes are clearly defined.
•	Work closely with units and programs of the School to advise and guide their communications goals, branding and event planning.
•	Execute ongoing reviews of marketing and communications activities to ensure alignment with the Dean's initiatives and priorities.
•	Periodically review and revise strategy and plan as necessary to meet changing trends and best practices.
•	Present data and key performance measures (e.g., web traffic, digital marketing, media placements, etc.) evaluating effectiveness of current strategy and investments.
•	Articulate and document institutional positioning, brand promise and associated value propositions for all School stakeholders (current and prospective) for the College and individual departments/programs.
•	Manage and oversee event planning for Kroc School signature events.
Communications and reputation management (internal, external):
•	Support the external promotion of faculty work, student scholarship and innovative programs in the School
•	Create and execute communication plans - research, writing, editing and design services across platforms - for internal and external stakeholders
•	Design, maintain and guide the implementations of a comprehensive, cohesive communications plan for different units and programs
•	Develop talking points, prepare power point presentations, etc. for the dean.
Marketing Leadership and Organizational Capabilities:
•	Lead the development of marketing skills and capabilities of relevant personnel in the School and individual programs (e.g. host workshops, one-on-one trainings, create guides and tutorials, etc.).
•	Represent the Kroc School and Dean's Office on various committees (CRM, Social Media, Community Relations/Outreach, among others).
•	Collaborate with university leadership and other marketing directors on initiatives, and advocate for the priorities of the School.
•	Serve as the central source of expertise and advice on all brand-related activities in the School.
•	Provide marketing support to the Dean, Kroc IPJ Executive Director, and Assistant Director of Development as needed.
•	Manage relationships and contracts with outside vendors on an as-needed basis.
•	Oversee the budget and expenses associated with the School's marketing and communication efforts.
•	Participate in the meetings of the School's Board of Advisors.
•	Attend key School events and participate in relevant university-wide activities.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow ourCovid-19vaccinerequirement process.https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
This is a senior management position within the School and requires significant prior experience and track record with the varied responsibilities of the position listed above.
•	Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree. Emphasis in marketing, communication or related field.
•	Five years of proven and successful experience in marketing and communications with a track record of leading effective initiatives in institutional storytelling, marketing and social media for business purposes, and public relations. This individual will have proven expertise in the professional use of social media (Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn), the internet, Microsoft Office Suite (Word/Excel/PowerPoint), knowledge of website content publishing software and AP writing style. Must have demonstrated commitment to issues of DEI and social justice.
•	Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's degree.
•	Eight years of proven and successful experience years of experience in marketing and communications, including experience working with multifaceted brands/projects and communicating the value of an institution to various audiences. A track record of data-driven decision-making. Candidate will have proven expertise leading marketing strategies and extensive knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, content management software, customer retention solution (CMS) software and AP Style. Previous experience in a higher education preferred.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
•	Experience with formal marketing planning; demonstrated understanding of marketing analytics and their role in developing strategy
•	Entrepreneurial mindset, demonstrating initiative and creativity with a focus on results
•	Ability to work collegially with faculty, staff, students at the Kroc School and the university and members of the community at large
•	Ability to brand and market using print, digital and social media
•	Actively use, embrace and understand the importance and changing nature of social media (Twitter, Facebook, Linked In, and other sites)
•	Outstanding interpersonal and communication (written and oral) skills
•	Marketing skills, including digital marketing, and ability particularly in brand management Public relations, communication, and media relations skills
•	Entrepreneurial attitude, with capacity to initiative activities and show creativity
•	Ability to function with the highest degree of autonomy
•	Ability to assume responsibility and effectively resolve problems by exercising independent judgment in meeting challenges and inventing and implementing procedures
•	Detail oriented, organized, and an accurate individual with time management skills
•	Ability to supervise and mentor others
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer.
Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now after clicking on link to site below to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers' review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: November 05, 2021 Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled
To apply https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/494757/director-of-marketing-and-communications
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency