Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 40
Weeks per year: 33
Work Schedule: Various Shifts
Salary: $23.57 an hour, plus full benefits
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Works under the supervision of the Chef Manager and/or Lead Cook, Production Manager, Assistant Director of Culinary Operations and Dining Managers. Prepares recipes and safe food preparation and handling, follows sanitation procedures, proper receiving and storage procedures. Abides by and enforces the rules and regulations of the department and BOH.
- Assists other cooks with general preparation.
- Assists in preparation of food by any of the following methods, according to directions: Boiling Roasting Sauteing Steaming Baking Or, as instructed Frying Grilling/Broiling May carve and slice meats for service and cook food items to order.
- Ensures all food labels are accurate with correct allergen information and ingredients.
- Assists other stations and duties as needed by the department.
- Uses standardized recipes in the preparation of food.
- May be needed to work other areas and other time frames within the department based on business demands.
- Appropriately seasons and garnishes food for service.
- Batch cooks to ensure that food is always freshly prepared and nicely presented.
- Assists in and uses proper procedures for placing, receiving, and storing orders.
- Stores all food properly at all times following proper board of health guidelines.
- Keeps red & green sanitation buckets at the station following proper procedure.
- Maintains clean and orderly work area and keeps utensils and equipment clean and in good working order.
- Assists in taking weekly inventory when needed
- Keeps all work areas clean, free of debris and sanitized at all times.
- Responsible for preparing and recording amounts of food as designated by computer production sheets.
- May provide direction for student workers.
- Filters and cleans fryolators on a regular basis or as needed.
- Utilize as much food trim and leftovers as possible then records all compost with the Leanpath system. Our goal is to have as little waste as possible.
- Must be able to take direction from supervisors, managers and directors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must record daily temperatures of all food items and fill out production records.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in preparation of food in quantity in another college or in a high volume quality restaurant.
- Must have good communication skills, both written and orally, with a sound understanding of the English language. Basic computer skills are desirable.
- Refrigerates and / or stores all food left at the end of the meal following proper food storage and handling procedures throughout the day.
- Must be able to pass a physical examination without restrictions.
- Must be able to give direction and instruct others.
- Directs student staff and maintains a high level of professionalism.
ServSafe certified or willing to take and pass ServSafe course.
- Must be certified in allergen training.
- Customer Service: Maintains an extraordinarily positive attitude towards others and especially when dealing with students and the public.
- Must be cooperative and willing to work with others.
- Must maintain a positive attitude.
- Must be neat in appearance and work habits, and must comply with safety and sanitation regulations as prescribed by law.
- Must comply with proper dress code as designated by the Department.
License/Certifications: ServSafe Certified
Routinely lifts/moves an average of 30 pounds. May occasionally lift 50 pounds.
Lifting: 30%– 50% of time at work (could require bending and twisting).
Pans of product, replenishing / storing product, preparing recipes (requires lifting cases of product).
Ability to carry product a distance.
Setting up, replenishing serving lines requires lots of walking/carrying to services lines or storing/retrieving product in refrigerated or dry storage areas, the distance of approximately 25 feet or more. Most shifts span 2 meal periods.
Overhead lifting: 10% or more.
Storing or removing product or equipment from shelves.
Routinely on your feet throughout an 8 hour shift (could also be working alone during part of shift).
Requires lots of walking to service lines, the distance of approximately 25 feet.
Floor surface is quarry tile and is non-giving.
Walking up and down stairs when retrieving product from storerooms and entering and exiting the building.
Potential hazardous areas of concern:
Works around slippery surfaces due to spills, dropped foods, trips to dishroom and pot sink to get equipment cleaned.
Exposure to equipment – uses or works near all of the following to prepare and serve food:
Heavy and large pots, pans
Sharp edges from open cans
Works around tables with corners
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified
employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully
carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate
background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as
the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver
Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and
Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by application deadline. Application materials must include 1) a cover letter summarizing
interests and qualifications, 2) a complete resume or curriculum vitae, and 3) contact information for 3
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.