The Association of American Medical Colleges is a not-for-profit association dedicated to transforming health care by supporting the entire spectrum of medical education, medical research, patient care, and community collaborations conducted by our member institutions. We are dedicated to the communities we serve and steadfast in our goal to improve the health of people everywhere. The AAMC strives to make a positive impact not only in your career, but in your life.
The Equity Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) cluster at the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Fellow for Organizational Inclusion and Development Portfolio. The initial appointment will be for one year and the position may be renewable for up to 2 years. This portfolio focuses on encouraging organizational capacity building at our nation’s medical schools and teaching hospitals through reports, research, services, and training that strengthen leadership recruitment, retention, and culture and climate assessment at the institutional level. The Fellow will work on multiple research projects (see topics below) under the supervision of Director of Research and will be assigned additional tasks that complement the needs of the unit and portfolio at the discretion of the supervisor.
Why us, Why now?
The mission of the Equity Diversity and Inclusion unit at the AAMC is to develop central initiatives to cultivate a diverse and culturally prepared workforce, advance inclusion excellence, imbue equity-mindedness, and improve engagement with local communities.
We are searching for a research fellow whose research background and interests fall within the following topics - although other research topics and questions related to the EDI in health professions education will also be considered:
- black men in medicine
- chief Diversity and Inclusion officers in academic medicine
- women of color in faculty roles in academic medicine
- equity, diversity, inclusion; social justice; anti-racism; and sense of belonging in academic medicine
- improving EDI-focused educational research in academic medicine
- other topics as relevant to the AAMC and unit priorities
How will you make an impact?
- Conduct literature reviews, develop research designs, and collect and analyze data
- Prepare materials for IRB review
- Prepare interview questions, recruit, and/or interview participants
- Provide assistance with the preparation of project-related reports, manuscripts, and presentations
- Provide support for the development of proposals for research funding
- Serve as a resource for AAMC staff and constituents on educational research matters (e.g., design, data collection, data analysis)
- Present findings at regional, national, and international conferences
- Mentor research assistants, as appropriate and as advised
- Carry out administrative and management work as needed
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned
What will you bring to the role?
- Terminal degree from an accredited university is required by the time of appointment; Ph.D. or Ed.D. in education, educational research, higher education, or a related field preferred; or other terminal professional degree with extensive experience in educational research
- Experience in educational research design, project implementation, and qualitative research approaches
- Sophisticated knowledge of equity, diversity, and inclusion concepts and higher education-related theories
- Ability to think strategically; identify, preempt, and tackle problems with confidence; plan and implement solutions
- Ability to present and publish research through a peer-reviewed process
- Ability to prepare conference presentations, research findings, and manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals
- Ability to manage multiple projects, in a fast-paced environment while meeting deadlines
- Ability to work well in a team setting as well as independently
- Some proficiency with mixed-methods and/or multi-method designs; quantitative research experience; and experience with Stata, SAS, R or other statistical software are a plus
Please submit a curriculum vitae along with; A cover letter that discusses your relevant research experience and qualifications, curiosity about the position, and dedication to equity, inclusion, and diversity as an educational researcher (2 page limit, 11 font, double-spaced, 1 inch margins) One original sole-authored writing sample (e.g., publications, dissertation chapter, course paper). A list of at least three professional references
Remote Work Eligibility
This position may be eligible for remote work.
If a bachelor’s degree is required, related work experience may be substituted in some positions. One year of college course work at an accredited institution is equivalent to one year of related work experience.
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The AAMC is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. The AAMC will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, past or current military service, or any other legally protected characteristic.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
The AAMC is committed to providing and maintaining a safe work environment for all, taking measures to secure workforce continuity, and promoting the health and wellbeing of our members, stakeholders, and our communities at large. Therefore, the AAMC requires its employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees will be required to show proof they are fully vaccinated. Only vaccines that have been approved or granted Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) by the FDA, or listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization (WHO) will be accepted. More information on acceptable vaccines can be found here.
Please attach a resume and cover letter as part of the application process. It is important that files DO NOT include periods ( . ) within the file name.
Applications must be submitted using Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer v.10 or higher.