Working at Binghamton University
Message on working at Binghamton University from President Harvey Stenger
Binghamton University opened its doors as Triple Cities College in 1946, to serve the needs of local veterans returning from service in World War II. Originally located in Endicott, N.Y., five miles west of the present campus, the fledgling school was a branch of Syracuse University.
Four years later, the college was incorporated into the State University of New York (SUNY) and renamed Harpur College in honor of Robert Harpur, a Colonial teacher, patriot and pioneer who helped settle the area west of Binghamton.
In 1961, the campus moved across the Susquehanna River to Vestal. Growing enrollment and a reputation for excellence soon led to the selection of Harpur College as one of four doctorate-granting University Centers in the SUNY system.
In 1965, the campus was formally designated the State University of New York at Binghamton, and in 1992, Binghamton University was adopted as our informal name.
Binghamton University is a premier public university dedicated to enriching the lives of people in the region, state, nation and world through discovery and education and to being enriched by partnerships with those communities.
Binghamton as an institution is dedicated to higher education, one that combines an international reputation for graduate education, research, scholarship and creative endeavor with the best undergraduate programs available at any public university.
We are an academically selective community that shares ideas across departments, disciplines and borders. We encourage faculty, students and staff to ask unexpected questions, foster open dialog and develop innovative solutions to important problems.