Lecturer - Italian Job Description Summary, Duties and Responsibilities, Required Qualifications and Preferred Qualifications:
The search will remain open until the position has been filled. First consideration will be given to applications received by December 1, 2021. Second consideration may be given to applications received by December 15, 2021. Applications received subsequent to second consideration date (December 15, 2021) may not be given full consideration.
The University of Rhode Island seeks to fill a full-time, renewable, non-tenure-track position at the rank of lecturer in Italian language and culture, beginning Fall 2022. This position offers full benefits and opportunities for advancement. The new hire will teach beginning and intermediate Italian courses, update courses so they align fully with the Department’s communicative and proficiency goals, and coordinate the beginning and intermediate Italian sequence. The new hire will be expected to complete ACTFL’s 4-day OPI Assessment Workshop within the first year (if they have not done so already), a process that would be sponsored by the department. We are particularly interested in candidates who can provide leadership in Italian program development by advancing the Department’s initiatives in proficiency, intercultural communicative competence, and diversity, equity and inclusion. We encourage all applicants to read the URI Provost’s Strategic Plan for Diversity: https://web.uri.edu/provost/files/Agenda-for-Change-2021.Final_.pdf.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Teach beginning and intermediate language/culture courses in Italian.
Update beginning and intermediate courses so they align fully with the Department’s communicative and proficiency goals.
Coordinate the beginning and intermediate Italian program. Coordination duties include:
- Supervise the work of part-time instructors teaching beginning and intermediate Italian courses.
- Oversee development of course assessment materials for the program.
- Prepare and implement professional development activities for instructors.
Provide academic counsel and advice to undergraduate students, especially with regard to placement at the appropriate level in the Italian curriculum.
Perform additional duties to support the work and goals of the Italian section, as required.QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Minimum of MA degree, or equivalent, in
Italian language and culture, Italian literature, applied linguistics, or a closely-related field.
2. Native or near-native fluency in Italian and excellent command of the English Language.
3. At least 2 years of demonstrated experience in teaching Italian as a second language at post-secondary level academic institution(s).
4. Demonstrated experience with communicative and/or proficiency-oriented instruction.
5. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations. PREFERRED:
1. PhD preferred.
2. Demonstrated experience in course and/or curriculum development according to ACTFL and/or CEFR-aligned assessment-based tools.
3. Demonstrated excellence in teaching beginning and intermediate Italian language/culture courses.
4. Demonstrated excellence teaching Italian language/culture courses at a U.S. higher educational institution.
5. Demonstrated leadership experience (e.g., course or program coordination, supervisory positions, etc.).
________________________________________________________________________________________________________ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES.
The University of Rhode Island is an AA/EEOD employer. Women, persons of color, protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other protected groups are encouraged to apply.
AAUP - American Assoc of Univ ProfessorsStatus :
Academic Year, Full-time, Non-tenure-track, LimitedEnd Date of Restriction or Limitation:
Position is full-time academic year, limited to 06/18/2022 with anticipated renewal.Department:
Please note: Job applications must be submitted directly online only at: (https://jobs.uri.edu) Campus Location:
NoSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach the following 4 (PDF) documents to your online Faculty Employment Application:Position Number:
(#1) A cover letter that speaks specifically to both required and preferred qualifications.
(#2) Curriculum Vitae.
(#3) Other Document – References – A list of three references, at least one of whom should be a supervisor who can speak to your Italian language teaching abilities.
(#4) Other Document – One sample lesson plan for a beginning or intermediate Italian language/culture course (as one complete document).
11/01/2021Open Until Filled:
YesQuicklink for Posting: