Job no: 502183
Work type: Full-time
Location: Richland, Various locations
Work Schedule: Various Shifts (40 hours per week - some nights & weekends)
Program Lead, Veterans and Military Student Services
Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
$53,000+ (commensurate with education and experience)
Project Leads for Veterans Services coordinates student support services to promote the educational development and success of military and veteran students, serves as an advisor and advocate for military and veteran students. Project Leads work with the Senior Manager to conduct outreach, develop programming, and provide mentoring services. Project Leads work one-on-one with students to provide academic interventions and connection to various campus resources to improve academic performance.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of the purpose of community colleges and the vision of Dallas College • Employ and deploy data-informed and results oriented initiatives
• Ability to identify and address opportunities and challenges that arise as a result of Dallas College’s current transition • An understanding of contemporary issues in higher education is required through professional development activities
• Demonstrated experience in developing programs and initiatives for promoting and understanding equity within an educational setting • Ability to maintain confidentiality of information exposed to during business regarding students, supervisors, or other employees
• Experience bridging the gap between theory and practice for the benefit of students from severely underrepresented populations in higher education • Highly collaborative leader with experience in a comparably diverse and complex college/university with a proven track record of enhancing quality, excellence, institutional diversity, equity and inclusion, and student success
• Ability to work effectively with ethnic, cultural, and socially and economically diverse student populations • An appreciation of shared governance and evidence of strong ability to work effectively and collaboratively with administration, faculty, students, staff, and other constituent groups and partners, both within and outside a college or university with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds
• Knowledge of the history and culture of underrepresented populations in the United States and experience working with male students of color • Excellent time management, and organizational and problem-solving skills
• Knowledge and understanding of student development theory and programs; knowledge of student due process policies/procedures; knowledge and understanding of the current issues and trends in student affairs and student development • Ability to identify, address, and collaborate with other academic leaders on solutions to barriers preventing a significant portion of our population from having a job that pays a living wage
• Experience in strategic planning, assessment of program(s) effectiveness, and development of guidelines to enhance student success units within the institution and with accrediting bodies • Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, complex ideas, and information to a variety of stakeholders/constituents within the Dallas College community network related to career and academic requirements
Normal physical job functions performed within a standard office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with physical challenges to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
• Associate Degree, Bachelors preferred. Official transcripts required.
• Two (2) years of related experience.
• Current and valid Texas driver’s license required.
• Ability to work extended hours beyond the regular 8:00 am to 5:00 pm workday especially during heavy registration peak times including nights and weekends.
• Experience working with diverse student and staff populations.
• Excellent interpersonal relations skills.
• ***Will be subject to a criminal background check. Some positions may be subject to a fingerprint check. ***
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides overall coordination of the Veteran’s Service Center by addressing higher education needs of active military service members, veterans, and their dependents.
• Assist with the academic and student support planning to prospective and current students utilizing resources provided by Dallas College, community organizations and other colleges and universities.
• Establishes rapport with students, faculty, staff, and community groups that acknowledges difference while appreciating diversity and supports the College’s strategic plan.
• Establish a positive and inviting environment for the veteran and military community.
• department records in compliance with Dallas College policies, state, and federal regulations. Review various data associated with veteran students including enrollment, registration, academic standing, types of benefits used and other related administrative data.
• Ensures compliance with FERPA and associated policies that protects the privacy and confidentiality of student and employee information.
• Provides assistance working on assigned projects and provides updates on project.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Works collaboratively with college and community partners to enhance the recruitment, development, enrichment, inclusion, retention, and student experience for men of color.
• Supports academic and co-curricular programming for veteran students of color in collaboration with other student supports, and academic programs across campus.
• Review’s assessments and makes changes as needed to ensure individual student and overall program success. Monitors and documents individual student progress, engagement, academic achievement levels, retention rates, and graduation rates of participating students
• Participates in site visits and attends various meetings and events sponsored centrally and hosted by campuses.
• Responsible for ensuring that all programs and activities comply with university, state, and federal regulations.
• Serves as a resource to student groups and/or populations as a consultant and advocate for their concerns.
• Responsible for developing and maintaining partnerships throughout the College. Assists with communications, promotions, and public relations for the department to achieve departmental goals and objectives.
• Coordinates and facilitates interactive workshops that promote experiential learning and enhance sense of belonging.
• Completes required Dallas College Professional Development training hours per academic year.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbents may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Position requires regular and predictable attendance.
Dallas College is part of an equal opportunity system that provides education and employment opportunities without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Dallas College complies with the Americans with Disabilities and Veterans Act.
Preferred Qualifications/Experience: Military service and/or experience working directly with veterans, service members, and/or their dependents.
Work hours may vary (8am-5pm or 10am-7pm). Assigned work assignment location will be Richland campus.
Advertised: 01 Mar 2022 Central Standard Time
Applications close: 22 Mar 2022 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time