Job location: MC-Main Campus - ROM-Romeoville Campus Employment Type:
Part-time Posted data:
Adjunct Faculty, General and Organismal Biology
POSITION: Adjunct Faculty, General and Organismal Biology
STATUS: Part time
DEPARTMENT: Natural Science/Physical Education
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
UNION: Adjunct Faculty
REPORTS TO: Department Chair
PLACEMENT: Placement on salary schedule is dependent on qualifications.
MINIMUM PAY RATE: Qualifications include education and related work experience.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
An adjunct community college instructor is an instructor hired for one semester to teach one or more courses for which he/she is qualified. The adjunct instructor reports to the appropriate Instructional Coordinator and/or Director, and provides quality instruction for the assigned courses. The instructor works with full-time staff in assessing students and following all course guidelines. Willingness to teach at other campus sites is required. Adjunct instructors may submit preferences for locations ad loads. Position is subject to all terms and provisions of the Joliet Junior College adjunct faculty contract.
Provide direct and explicit instruction to students in assigned subject area(s) Monitor student progress, report outcomes, and refer students for additional assessments and/or support services Participate in annual student and chair/coordinator evaluations Comply with departmental curriculum, grading standards, attendance policies, textbook choices, assessments, and other established processes. Attend classes regularly; return college reports, credentials, and other requested documentation in a timely manner; effectively communicate with appropriate staff and director. Actively retain students through goal attainment Comply with all legal and ethical obligations, including FERPA, ADA, and other regulatory legislations. Communicate discrepancies to appropriate officials. Commit to furthering the mission, goals, and core values of the college and the department at all times Meet other contractual obligations as spelled out in the Joliet Junior College adjunct faculty contract and/or by the department.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach at least one-two sections of General Biology or other biology as needed per semester.
2. Work closely with other instructors, special programs, and services within the college to determine placements, curriculum, and academic support.
3. Be willing to teach online and/or hybrid courses.
4. Demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching and learning.
5. Employ effective and innovative teaching methods in the classroom and laboratory.
6. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other members of the college and community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional intelligence.
7. Demonstrate strong understanding and commitment to the community college mission.
8. Teach at other campus sites as needed.
9. Meet other contractual obligations as spelled out in the Joliet Junior College adjunct faculty contract.
10. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other members of the college and community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional intelligence.
1. Master’s Degree in Biology or closely related field with emphasis on organismal biology.
2. Two (1) years of teaching experience at the collegiate level.
1. Doctoral Degree in Biology with emphasis on Organismal Biology, or closely related field.
2. Experience at the community college level.
3. Expertise in appropriate technologies for instruction.
4. Experience in teaching online and/or using course management programs.
5. Experience with traditional and non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds.
6. English and Spanish verbal and written communication proficiency.
7. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
1. Normal classroom and laboratory (indoor and outdoor) physical demands.
1. Classroom and laboratory (indoor and outdoor) teaching environment.
PRIORITY CONSIDERATION DATE
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):