For COVID-related Information and Vaccination Requirements, please view the Return to Campus Task Force
Hudson County Community College (HCCC) is an award-winning, comprehensive urban college serving one of the most historic and ethnically diverse areas of the United States. HCCC has three campuses located just minutes from Manhattan: The Journal Square campus in Jersey City and North Hudson Campus in Union City are adjacent to vital transportation hubs; the Secaucus campus has abundant parking.
Fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, HCCC serves more than 18,000 credit and non-credit students annually. The College offers more than 60 degree and certificate programs, including award-winning English as a Second Language, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), Culinary Arts/Hospitality Management, Nursing and Health Sciences, and Fine and Performing Arts. The HCCC Culinary/Hospitality Management program was ranked number six in the U.S. by Best Choice Schools. Over 94% of HCCC Nursing program graduates passed the NCLEX first time out, placing the program’s graduates in the top tier of two- and four-year nursing programs nationwide. In 2017, the Equality of Opportunity Project ranked HCCC in the top 5% of 2,200 U.S. higher education institutions for social mobility. In 2019, the College joined Achieving the Dream as part of its expanding efforts towards continuous improvement in ensuring student success.
HCCC has partnerships with every major four-year college and university in the greater New Jersey-New York area and beyond, accommodating seamless transfer of credits for further undergraduate and graduate education.
The College has been recognized with numerous national and state awards for excellence in student success programming, diversity and equity, educational innovativeness, facilities design, and communications from the Association of Community College Trustees, American Association of Community Colleges, Association of College and Research Libraries, National College Learning Association, National Council of Teachers of English, College Advertising Awards, New Jersey Business & Industry Association, and others.
Hudson County Community College is proud of its culture of care and invites applications from those wishing to join a community dedicated to promoting student success in all its forms.
Department / Division Introduction
The Division of Continuing Education and Workforce Development is an exciting and entrepreneurial office within the College, which offers a wide variety of non-credit classes, courses, seminars and training sessions for the community. These offerings are focused on revitalizing careers, upgrading skills and credentials, growing businesses and pursuing pastimes and passions. Additionally, the HCCC Center for Business & Industry (CBI) is the area leader in developing and delivering educational classes and programs for Hudson County’s businesses, organizations and individuals. Join a winning team focused on serving the educational training needs of the Hudson County business community.
Position Summary / Job Description
Under the general supervision of the ESL Coordinator, the ESL instructor is responsible for teaching ESL classes (upon instructor’s availability) per semester of day, evening and weekend classes at the North Hudson Campus. The ESL instructor is responsible for implementing course/textbook curriculum, providing advisement, maintaining office hours, and student learning outcomes assessments.
Areas of programming include:
- English as a Second Language Instructors (Morning and Night Positions)
- North Hudson Campus - Union City
- Weekends (Sundays) – North Hudson Campus
Essential Functions and Responsibilities includes but are not limited to the following:
- Teach ESL classes (upon instructor’s availability) per semester of day, evening and weekend classes.
- Integrate modern technology and other instructional aids that will contribute to effective student learning. (MyEnglishLab)
- Maintain a record of student attendance on a weekly basis. Submit student midterm/final grades on specified dates.
- Maintain office hours at times appropriate for day, evening and weekend students enrolled in assigned courses.
- Resolve, with the assistance of the coordinator and/or CE division director, any student problems that arise regarding assigned courses.
- Create upbeat and engaging classroom environment.
Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 2-3 years higher education (preferably community college)
- Knowledge of and ability to integrate modern technology into classroom instruction. Experience in distance education is highly desirable
- Ability to utilize diverse teaching methods that respond to student learning styles.
- Strong interpersonal and oral/written communication skills.
- Understanding of and commitment to the role of a comprehensive community college in an urban multi-cultural setting.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with a culturally diverse population and to effectively and respectfully function and communicate within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds.
For full consideration please submit your CV or resume, cover letter, and a list of three professional references through CEWD Instructor Applications. If the form does not open, please type this url into your browser https://tinyurl.com/25vs5t6h. Please call (201) 360-4241 with any questions.
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies.
HCCC is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment. Decisions on employment are made on the basis of the qualifications of an individual for the particular position being filled. Women, veterans and minorities are encouraged to apply.