The Director oversees and implements the media and educational technologies across the University in support of the University’s mission and goals. This position works with leadership to develop media and learning technology resources, design educational programs, develop/deliver training for faculty, staff, and students and research, recommend and implement solutions to enhance the teaching and learning experience.
St. Mary's University, as a Catholic Marianist University, fosters the formation of people in faith and educates leaders for the common good through community, integrated liberal arts and professional education, and academic excellence: www.stmarytx.edu/about. St. Mary's is the oldest Catholic university in the Southwest and continues to advocate the Marianist mission. St. Mary's enrolls approximately 3500 students in a diverse university with four schools, more than 40 academic programs including Ph.D. and J.D. programs, and numerous pre-professional programs. The successful candidate is expected to support and contribute to the University's Marianist educational mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees the operation of the Academic Technology Services Media Center in support of its purposes and objectives, providing the campus with creative media services and equipment for academic and campus-wide media activities.
- Consults with faculty and staff to establish current and future multimedia systems needs and requirements; develops plans for creating new learning opportunities with emphasis on technology media applications.
- Manages the media services operation and professional media support and technology for priority campus events and provides direction and quality control of media and educational services including support for campus-wide digital signage platform. Supervises and manages departmental support staff and student assistants.
- Serves as a resource for campus in terms of AV/IT design and integration. Leads the testing and evaluation of education technology, media, and software solutions for use in teaching and learning to meet user defined needs. Provides training to staff and serve serves as a resource for learning technologies multimedia technology
- Collaborates with Academic Technology staff to create training and development curriculum, resources, and offerings related to media and educational technology services for students, faculty, and staff.
- Engages with the Office of Student Accessibility services to explore, discuss and assess innovative and emerging assistive media technology solutions
- Oversees academic applications, platforms, licenses, and solutions such as online video conferencing and online video platform and other academic technology support systems and services
- Consults and provides recommendations and direction to faculty, students, and staff regarding the integration of technology solutions including instructional development and learning activities
- Collaborates on the creation and implementation of university policies in support of education and media technology
- Oversees content review of departmental website and social media development and manages marketing, promotion, and communication campaigns to promote media and educational technology services
- Promotes awareness of and interest in media and educational technology services in collaboration with University Communications.
- Manages the office budgets, forecasting, reconciliation, analysis, and monthly financial reports. Adheres to all university policies. Reviews and maintains all office processes in accordance with best practices of the university. Proactively minimizes risk to students and the university as it relates to processes, programs, events, trips, retreats, etc.
- Serves on assigned committees, boards or commissions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum requirement of a Master’s degree in, Education Technology, Instructional Design, Communication, or closely related fields.
- Minimum of five years experience of prior media, marketing, and/or communication; ten years or more preferred.
- Experience with video management platforms (i.e., YouTube or Kaltura) and video conferencing platforms (i.e., Zoom or Teams), web design and HTML 5 concepts is preferred.
- Supervisory experience, experience in project management, teaching courses in higher education in multiple modes (Online, Blended, and Face-to-Face), teaching in higher education with knowledge of teaching methods and pedagogy.
- Must have valid driver’s license, motor vehicle liability insurance and personal injury insurance; or have a self-reliant source of transportation to conduct business on a daily basis
- Must clear and maintain a favorable background investigation and clearance
- Must have the ability to demonstrate advanced skills in MS Office (Word, Excel, Visio, and PowerPoint). Uses various software applications, such as Adobe Create Cloud, Mac & Windows OS, video editing and media production, Canvas, Blackboard, and media/education technology platform administration.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong public relations and customer service skills with an ability to implement diplomacy and discretion at all times; an ability to work effectively with communities across the university.
- Must have a high ethical standards and a strong sense of confidentiality; ability to prioritize and manage multiple deadlines; thrive in a complex work environment; displays solid problem solving and interpersonal skills; works well independently and as part of a team.
- Must have strong self-judgment abilities to assist in the preparation of department personnel policy information. Use discretion to complete work assignments. Initiative is frequently required to complete work assignments. Decisions are made regarding policy interpretation and individual work priorities
- Must have the ability to demonstrate a capacity for leadership, and the commitment to work collaboratively with a diverse and dynamic community.
- Must have a high attention to detail and be able to organize workflow, coordinate activities, balance simultaneous projects without loss of efficiency in a multi-tasked environment, and manage multiple priorities to meet deadlines. Evidence of media production, instructional development, and management skills.
- May be required to work more than 40 hours a week and work a flexible schedule to accommodate for University events and projects.
- Knowledgeable of best practices in web writing to keep web content up-to-date, accurate and engaging;
- Knowledge of the relationship between web, social media and print communications
St. Mary’s University is a Hispanic-Serving Institution and an Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to furthering diversity, equity, and inclusion and encourages all qualified candidates apply.