Director of Development (0462U), Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research 24399
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research has overall managerial responsibility for Berkeley's research enterprise. It seeks to maintain a research environment that fosters creativity, collaboration and community. Its specific goals are to provide effective support for campus-wide research efforts; to advocate for research needs and resources; and to maximize the benefits of Berkeley's research to the scholarly community, to the local community, the state, nationally and internationally. In support of these goals, the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research administers over 50 research centers, institutes, programs, museums, and field stations; administers the flow of research funding to the Berkeley campus; oversees the compliance of campus research with federal, state and university regulations; facilitates relations between University researchers and private industry for the benefit of society.
The Fundraiser 4 will work closely with multidisciplinary centers, institutes and programs across a broad spectrum of areas spanning the STEM fields as well as social sciences and humanities under the administrative umbrella of the Vice Chancellor for Research. These programs represent research at the frontiers of many fields and bring together outstanding faculty, researchers, students and alumni and friends of the university. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Fundraiser 4 is responsible for helping to develop fundraising strategies and working in close collaboration with fundraising staff across the campus. The Fundraiser 4 maintains a portfolio of donor prospects. including individuals, foundations, and corporations capable of giving $50K or more.
- Plans, organizes, and directs large-scale, fundraising campaigns which include multiple components.
- May serve as an expert or lead development professional in a specific across multiple academic disciplines. Works in close collaboration with the Chief Development Officer to support strategic priorities of faculty and staff in interdisciplinary centers, institutes and programs. Evaluates programs using financial feasibility studies and market research, including planning and evaluating annual solicitation programs and making recommendations for improvements. Analyzes needs and assists in the creation of strategic plans for fundraising and other advancement programs.
- Writes proposals for solicitation of individual, corporate, and / or foundation prospects.
- Qualifies, identifies, cultivates, solicits and / or stewards major gift prospects and donors.
- Recruits, trains, and supports board members and other key volunteers who assist in advancement efforts.
- May oversee the work of Works in close collaboration with professional and support staff involved in the implementation of multi-component fundraising programs.
- Develops and manages a dynamic portfolio of 80-100 major gift, corporate and foundation prospects, to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects for gifts in the $50,000 - 250,000 range. Makes at least 10 - 15 substantive contacts per month and ensures that predetermined fundraising goals are met and raises at least $1M annually. Ensures that predetermined fundraising goals are met and implements program activities to achieve these goals. Results have a major impact on the overall goals of the program.
- May attend functions, meetings and serve on internal / external committees as a representative of the location.
- Advanced knowledge of all aspects of fundraising, donor relations and public relations.
- Advanced knowledge of all aspects of the campus, including relevant issues for both the campus and higher education.
- Advanced knowledge of the campus including its vision, mission, goals, objectives, achievements and infrastructure.
- Advanced knowledge of applicable laws, rules, regulations, institutional policies, et cetera.
- Advanced written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, including political acumen to establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the organization and with outside constituencies.
- Advanced skill in making persuasive and compelling presentations of campus goals/objectives and securing gifts.
- Advanced skill to meet predetermined goals and objectives through effective program/project planning, organization, execution and evaluation.
- Advanced analytical, critical thinking, problem recognition/avoidance/resolution skills.
- Skill to meet or exceed fundraising goals and objectives.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential is a plus
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
The minimum posting duration of this position is 14 calendar days. The department will not initiate the application review process prior to October 7, 2021.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=24399&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency