Requisition Number:34320Location: Boulder, Colorado Employment Type:FacultySchedule:Full-TimeDate Posted:25-Oct-2021 Close All
The Program in Environmental Design at the University of Colorado Boulder (CU) is seeking to hire two full-time faculty members, at either the Assistant or Associate Professor level, with an intended start date of Fall 2022. We seek candidates who can teach both studio and lecture courses as well as provide support to the core curriculum which covers general knowledge in environmental design disciplines including architecture and planning.
Candidates must demonstrate potential in teaching and scholarship, including publication, and fundraising. Preference will be given to applicants whose research and teaching address current and emerging issues in climate and environment.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Who We Are
ENVD (http://www.colorado.edu/envd/) offers a Bachelor of Environmental Design. The program has been cultivating critical and creative thinkers, designers, and planners for over 50 years and has more than 4,300 alumni. Our interdisciplinary program embraces design thinking and practice, from human scale environmental product design to regional development planning, and we are renowned for graduating environmental designers who can integrate knowledge of the built and natural environments.
In this moment, we are inspired to address the emerging challenges that climate change poses to social and ecological systems. During our current student careers, transportation, infrastructure, and housing will undergo significant changes amidst population movement, land use changes and sea level rise, and alterations in energy and water supply. As these changes occur, long-held principles and guidelines regarding appropriate design approaches will be questioned, and many of the changes that will occur are yet to be known.
The challenge before us is simple: design for the past and be obsolete, or design for the future and create solutions. We need new design regulation, urban planning guidelines, and infrastructure specifications to guide the next generation of design solutions. We will reinvent landscape palettes, rediscover passive heating and cooling, and reinvent approaches to urban planning. Revolutionizing design in a changing environment will be the foundation of our program in the future, as we build our own capacity and take advantage of the opportunities for collaboration amidst the greatest density of climate expertise in the nation, both at the University of Colorado Boulder and the government labs nearby.
We are currently scoping a graduate program in Environmental Design that will focus on this area of excellence, and seek new faculty who can contribute to this goal. We are committed to shaping an equitable future for environmental design professions and scholarship, and we aim to uphold and advance the University’s commitment to diversity, collegiality and inclusion.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- ENVD seeks applicants to both teach curricula at all levels in the curriculum, and have an active research agenda. We seek someone who will enhance undergraduate scholarly endeavors in addition to training students for careers in professional fields. We particularly seek candidates who can strengthen our Landscape Architecture and Environmental Product Design majors, and who can teach a variety of classes (lecture, seminar, and studio) in these fields. However, we are open to candidates in any design specialty. Candidates will be expected to develop a research program that builds on the core knowledge of the field and expands into emerging areas with a focus on climate and the environment.
What You Should Know
- Summer salary may also be available. A willingness to teach a summer class is a plus.
- A typical workload for faculty is 40% Teaching/40% Research /20% Service.
- All faculty are expected to participate on department committees and in department governance.
- As part of the University of Colorado Boulder’s deep commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion, the campus has implemented a reference check pilot program with respect to final candidates for tenured faculty appointments. The reference check pilot program is intended to allow CU Boulder to collect and review information about a candidate's conduct at their current and previous institutions, specifically conduct related to sexual misconduct, harassment, and/or discrimination – before making hiring decisions. All final candidates for tenured faculty appointments are required to complete an Authorization to Release Information.
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine requirement. New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
What We Can Offer
- The positions are 9 months/100% full-time equivalent with a salary of $80,000.00-85.000.00.
BenefitsThe University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
.Be StatementsBe ambitious. Be groundbreaking. Be Boulder.What We Require
- A terminal degree in the field, with Ph.D. preferred.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV.
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- List of References (used for phone reference checks)
- A Syllabus/Syllabi.
- Teaching/Course Evaluations.
- A one-page statement on contribution to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- A one- to two-page statement of your vision and aims for your research and creative work
- Include one or two examples of research and creative work (pdf)
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version (if applicable) as an optional attachment.
For full consideration, please apply by January 10, 2022. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact InformationPosting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human ResourcesPosting Contact Email: [email protected]