: Enrollment ServicesLocations:
: Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: Oct 22, 2021Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: AdministratorsRef. No.:
: DEE-21Position ID:
About Oakton Community College :
Oakton Community College, a caring community of educators dedicated to excellence and learning, invites applications for Assistant Director of Enrollment for Equity Outreach (DEE-21)
A premier comprehensive community college, Oakton is 17 miles from downtown Chicago. Oakton serves the near northern suburbs of Chicago with campuses in Des Plaines and Skokie with buildings totaling over 700,000 square feet of space resting on 192 acres. These campuses serve almost 10,000 students annually that are enrolled in over 82,000 credit hours of instruction. This position will be based out of the Des Plaines campus and Skokie campus, but will also require significant time in the community, and will also have an off-site office. The College's Operating Funds' budget (Education and Operations & Maintenance Funds) for the academic year ending on June 30, 2021 amounts to $74.1 million. The College has undertaken a five year, $68.5 million Master Plan which included the construction and recent opening of the 93,000 square foot Margaret Burke Lee Science and Health Careers building on the Des Plaines campus.
The College is known for its academic innovations, commitment to serving students, solid financial position, and supportive environment for both students and employees. Oakton seeks an Assistant Director of Enrollment for Equity Outreach who is an innovative leader and who will continue a strong tradition of excellence.
Candidates with a commitment to working in a culturally competent environment are especially valued at Oakton.
We encourage applications from candidates who reflect the increasing diversity of Oakton's student body and community, enhance and promote engagement with other cultures, and have demonstrated a commitment to working with and as part of a multicultural faculty and diverse student body and community.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under the administrative supervision of the Dean of Enrollment Management, the Assistant Director will plan, lead, and continually assess activities that support the recruitment, enrollment, and success of minoritized students. This position will lead collaboration with a variety of critical internal and external stakeholders to reduce barriers to enrollment for minoritized students in alliance with College goals.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create a pipeline with community organization partners and establish a "community advisory group" to support pipeline opportunities for enrollment and access to campus resources.
- Engage in active outreach to non-traditional populations and young adults (20-25 years old) through collaboration with the Office of Admission.
- Develop a strategic initiative plan for equity outreach that increases enrollment. This includes but is not limited to coordination of on and off campus events targeted at minoritized and non-traditional populations.
- Collaborate with Student Financial Support in the development and packaging of internal and external financial resources in order to support enrollment and engagement of minoritized students.
- Educate and connect prospective students and applicants to Oakton's Access Equity and Diversity (AED) resources (such as AED staff, Equity Coordinators, Center for Campus Inclusion and Diversity (CCID), TRIO, Student Organizations, African-American Male Academy, etc.).
- Collaborate with internal partners to establish a "high touch" Oakton Experience for minoritized and non-traditional students.
- Increase the visibility of Oakton to members of minoritized communities, primarily within the district.
- Collaborate with College Relations/Marketing to increase target marketing of Oakton to traditionally minoritized student populations. This includes actively increasing Oakton's visibility with community partners and high/middle schools.
- Support Oakton's Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM) Plan with the focus on and attention to leveraging equity priorities, policies, and procedures.
- Identify and strategically assist enrollment management leaders with eliminating student service road blocks and barriers that often affect the enrollment of minoritized students. This may involve organizing specific trainings and/or educational opportunities to increase knowledge and expectations for front-line staff members.
- Utilizing an "Equity-Minded" lens, collaborate with the Dean of Access Equity and Diversity (AED) and Oakton's administrative leaders to identify and transform policies and procedures that result in reducing barriers to enrollment success for minoritized students.
- Prepare identified reports related to enrollment and outreach activities which support progress towards identified goals.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Bachelor's degree in student personnel services, higher education, or appropriate discipline, or an equivalent combination of training and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is required. Master's degree in a related field preferred.
- At least two years of experience in diversity training/education initiatives, community outreach that supports educational practices, and enrollment strategies.
- Ability to interact professionally and tactfully with people of different levels of education, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences, and to exhibit an adequate level of respect to fellow employees and the College community at large.
- Demonstrated knowledge of programming initiatives and support services related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Knowledge of past and current social trends affecting underrepresented, non-traditional, and underserved students.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and confidential assignments, organize work, and function independently.
- A high level of interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Ability to effectively utilize data to inform decisions and make strategic recommendations that support measurable outcomes and assessment activities.
- Intermediate word processing (Microsoft Word preferred), and spreadsheet application (Microsoft Excel preferred) skills are required. Advanced presentation application (Microsoft PowerPoint preferred) and beginning database application (Microsoft Access preferred) skills are desired.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including days, evenings, and weekends as needed.
- Mobility to move from building to building on-Campus and to visit off-Campus entities. Work is performed in a general office environment and is sedentary in nature. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Administrative supervision is received from the Dean of Enrollment Management.
Administrative supervision may be exercised over student employees.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
SALARY: Low: $86,055; Midpoint: $113,966; High: $141,884
Oakton Community College requires all employees to adhere to a Vaccination /Testing Mandate and Mask Requirement.
Oakton Community College does not currently have a work form home policy and employees, are required to report to campus.
To become an applicant, interested individuals must complete the online application linked from the posting found on the Oakton website. Electronic copies of a cover letter, resume/cv, list of three (3) references with contact information and transcripts must be submitted by the applicant via uploading to the Oakton employment website. Please indicate the position code (DEE-21) on the cover letter. Uploaded documents need to be under 2 MB in size and in either .doc, .txt, or .pdf format. A total of 8 separate documents may be uploaded to an application file that has been successfully submitted to the College.
An UNOFFICIAL copy of transcripts must be submitted at the time of application by the applicant.
***Official transcripts for all degrees earned are only required prior to appointment.***
Official transcripts or a placement/credential file should be e-mailed to [email protected]
Official transcripts or placement/credential files sent by postal mail should be sent to:
Oakton Community College
Assistant Director of Enrollment for Equity Outreach (DEE-21)
c/o Human Resources Department
1600 East Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Please contact Matthew Robitaille, Employment Coordinator at 847.635.1868 or [email protected] if you encounter any difficulties with electronic submission of these documents.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.
Appointment to an administrator position is contingent upon approval by the College's Board of Trustees.
Interviewees will be reimbursed for expenses associated with travel in excess of 50 miles to the interviews.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.