Support Services SpecialistPosition Type:
Support StaffStatus of Position:
Staff - Full TimeUnion:
Non ExemptPosition Summary:
Under the direct supervision of the manager of Printing and Support Services, performs word processing and graphic design functions —including but not limited to the preparation of reports, letters, mailing labels—graphic designer for internal flyers, newsletters, documents, and related material. Performs a variety of support associated with Duplication and the Mailroom. Follows oral and written instructions to efficiently complete tasksReporting and Supervisory Relationships:
Direct reporting relationship to the Manager of Printing and Support Services.Essential Responsibilities:
1. Utilize a variety of design, photo editing and/or word processing software to produce booklets, brochures, certificates, flyers, letters, reports, and other documents for print, email or use on the web. Follow standards stated in the PSC Graphic Standards Guide while producing materials that use the College name or logo. Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
2. Proofread and edit typed materials, finalize copy subsequent to review and revision by the originator. Assist co-workers with proofreading and editing of typed materials by checking grammar, spelling, format, and typographical accuracy prior to review by the originator.
3. Update and maintain the online Prairie State College catalog with changes submitted by the Curriculum Committee chair or designee.
4. Update the online Prairie State College events calendar.
5. Utilize several network printers for printing color documents, large-scale documents, and merge materials.
6. Assist faculty, staff and administrators with completing work request forms for Support Services, EZprint, Marketing, and Communications and Digital Media.
7. Assists Duplication/Mail Clerk with incoming mail and parcels from the U.S. Postal Service and other carriers; sorts mail.
8. Assists Duplication/Mail Clerk with outgoing correspondence for mailing; determines the least expensive rate; selects the correct postage; appropriately weighs envelopes/packages when required; completes appropriate paperwork for bulk mail; prepares mail and record form for acceptance by external pre-sort service.
9. Performs duties of Duplication/Mail Clerk during vacation periods or absences.
10. Recommend new or revised internal office procedures as appropriate.
11. Remains up-to-date with advancements and trends in the word processing and design fields. Keeps current with functions and features of the latest releases of word processing software and other design software as appropriate.
12. Provides excellent service to all students, faculty, staff and administrators, and the general public.
13. When necessary, assists in other areas of the department, and performs other related duties as assigned.
Employee is subject to indoor work, protected from weather conditions. Work is sedentary and involves occasionally exerting up to 50 pounds of force in order to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.Minimum Qualifications:
1. Associate’s degree and two years of experience; or certificate in word processing, office procedures, or design applications with four years of related experience. Preferred Qualifications:
2. Demonstrated work experience using WordPerfect/Word or comparable word processing software. Must be able to perform, on a test, advanced features such as tables, columns, graphics, headers/footers, super and sub text, text boxes, specialized vocabulary, scientific or mathematical terminology, vertical centering and merging along with some other basics.
3. Typing speed of at least 60-65 wpm.
4. Previous experience in an office environment including filing, setting up memos, letters, reports, flyers, brochures, posters, postcards. Demonstrated proficiency with all types of files, e.g. pdf, rtf, doc. dot. ppt, xls, etc and graphics formats, e.g., jpg, wmf, bmp, eps, tiff, gif, and etc.
5. Strong oral and written (grammar and spelling) skills as demonstrated on pre-employment test.
6. Must have excellent interpersonal skills to interact with a diverse group of users.
7. Must be able to work independently
8. Have the integrity to handle confidential files and information with a clear awareness of College policies and operations.
1. Previous work experience using InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop in creation of publications. Anticipated Work Hours and Days:
2. Two years of experience in an in-plant reproduction center or print shop.
3. Two years of experience working in a mailroom.
4. Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure at peak periods, with heavy volume and limited time allotments.
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through FridaySalary:
minimum starting $37,843Posting Date:
11/15/2021Open Until Filled:
NoSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
This search has been reopened. All applications must be submitted electronically. Illinois Governor Pritzker’s executive order to mandate COVID-19 vaccination and/or weekly testing on college campuses became effective Monday, Sept. 20, 2021. This mandate includes higher education personnel and students of Prairie State College.