Assistant/Associate Professor of Food Science & Nutrition and Didactic Program DirectorRequisition:
Assistant or Associate ProfessorFLSA status:
Salary commensurate with education and experience.Position Type:
Full-Time Tenure TrackCollege:
College of Health SciencesDepartment:
Dept of Family and Consumer SciencesOpen Date:
Dr. Kevin RandallTitle:
Committee ChairContact Phone:
Huntsville, Texas 77341
[email protected]Duties Performed in the Usual Course of the Job:
The Department of Family and Consumer Sciences at Sam Houston State University (SHSU) invites applications from a diverse group of qualified applicants for an Assistant/Associate Professor and Didactic Program Director (DPD) in Food Science & Nutrition beginning Fall 2022. The Department of Family and Consumer Sciences is one of four departments in the College of Health Sciences, and the Food Science and Nutrition (FSN) program is one of four undergraduate programs in the department. Both the undergraduate Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) and the MS in Dietetics programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). The department and FSN programs are housed in the historic three-story Margaret Lea Houston Building. The program occupies the second floor, which includes food science labs, a nutrition assessment center, a counselling office, and a new state of art demonstration kitchen.Educational Requirements for the Position:
This candidate will direct efforts as the Didactic Program Director (DPD) for the ACEND-Accredited program in Food Science & Nutrition. This position is a 9-month appointment with DPD administrative duties in the summer. The duties and responsibilities of this position include teaching, maintaining a research agenda in food science, nutrition, and/or dietetics, mentoring students, performing university and professional service, and contributing to ongoing program evaluation and improvement. Teaching assignments may include undergraduate and graduate coursework.
This appointment will include preparing and writing the self-study reports for the FSN program’s ACEND re-accreditation site visits. The Didactic Program Director is responsible to assure that the program activities integrate effectively and efficiently with the mission, vision, and overall operations of the department. The DPD is responsible to assure that the program meets the accreditation criteria established by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics; and in cooperation with the Dietetic Internship Coordinator.
The successful candidate will be expected to teach both undergraduate and graduate level courses in nutrition, foods, and dietetics. Online teaching experience is desirable.
The Department of Family and Consumer Sciences at SHSU seeks to recruit and retain a diverse faculty. Qualified applicants with experience in diverse settings and/or who demonstrate a commitment to serving diverse student populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Earned Doctorate in Food Science, Nutrition, or related discipline from an accredited institution (with at least 18 graduate hours of coursework in nutrition). Experience Required for the Position:
Other Requirements for the Position:
- Experience with ACEND policies and procedures including writing and preparing a self-study for ACEND accreditation is expected.
- A demonstrated record of teaching in food science, nutrition, and dietetics, scholarship, and service commensurate with appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor. For rank of Associate Professor, a demonstrated record of high-quality teaching and evidence of referred scholarship (peer-reviewed publications) is required.
- At least three years of experience in dietetic practice is required; evidence of effective teaching at the college level is an asset.
Special Instructions Summary:
- Applicants who are a Registered Dietitian (R.D.) accredited by the Commission of Dietetic Registration is preferred.
- Use of technology in instruction, and experience with distance/online education is preferred.
- Three or more years of clinical practice experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations is preferred.
- Experience mentoring students with scholarship/research projects preferred.
Interested candidates should submit the following required documents:
- Cover letter detailing candidate’s interest in the position, teaching experience, research agenda, involvement in service at the community, departmental, university, state or national level, and experience and commitment to working with diverse populations; it is also recommended that a candidate address any experiences related to the preferred criteria listed in the position description.
- Curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information for three professional references
Review of applications will begin immediately.
Position will start August of 2022.Open Until Filled:
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.