DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical CampusDepartment: Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences - Colorado Consortium for Prescription Drug Abuse PreventionJob Title: External Relations StrategistPosition #757067 – Requisition #23352
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date and boosters are required of all employees starting 1/24/2022. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at: https://www.cu.edu/vaccine-requirement
Exemptions vary by campus location/department. Campus/Unit-Specific Exemptions:
- Anschutz Campus – Accommodations may be granted for medical or religious reasons.
- Denver Campus - Exemptions are allowed for medical, religious, or personal reasons.
- Consolidated/Central Services Administration – Accommodations may be granted for medical or religious reasons.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.About the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a world-class medical destination at the forefront of transformative science, medicine, education and patient care. The campus encompasses the University of Colorado health professional schools, more than 60 centers and institutes, and two nationally ranked independent hospitals - UCHealth University of Colorado Hospital
and Children's Hospital Colorado
- that treat more than two million adult and pediatric patients each year. Innovative, interconnected and highly collaborative, the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus delivers life-changing treatments, patient care and professional training and conducts world-renowned research fueled by over $650 million in research grants. For more information, visit www.cuanschutz.edu
.The Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) External Relations Strategist position.
Jobs in this career family involve building relationships with external parties for the purposes of information sharing and facilitation of strategic partnerships. Functions include government relations, alumni relations, commercial business relations, non-profit relations, and event planning/management. Professionals at the intermediate level are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field. At the intermediate level, duties may be more limited in scope and are performed with guidance and direction from other professionals.Department Summary:
The Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, located at the Anschutz Medical Campus, is an internationally renowned School of Pharmacy and a top tier research school ranked in the top 10% of more than 140 schools in the country for research grant funding. At the Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, we are committed to excellence and innovation in professional, graduate and post-graduate education; scholarship and research; patient-centered care; public health advocacy; and societal leadership and engagement. Together, our innovation, discoveries and engagement with our communities improves the health and well-being of society.The Colorado Consortium for Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention (Consortium) was created in 2013 to implement the Governor’s Plan to Reduce Prescription Drug Abuse. The Consortium’s mission is to reduce prescription drug misuse and abuse in Colorado by developing policies, programs, and partnerships. Since its formation, the focus has been on the opioid crisis. In 2017, the State of Colorado provided funding to create the Center for Substance Abuse Prevention and Research at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus; the Consortium serves as the community engagement arm of the Center. By aligning efforts among many partner organizations in both the public and private sectors statewide, and sharing resources, the Consortium is able to impact prescription drug misuse in a meaningful way. As these efforts have evolved, the need to further support new and existing work at the local level to increase and facilitate uptake has emerged. This position will function as an External Relations Professional in Southeast Colorado. Please note, the incumbent will work with community stakeholders in the counties of Baca, Bent, Cheyenne, Crowley, Elbert, El Paso, Huerfano, Kiowa, Kit Carson, Las Animas, Lincoln, Otero, Prowers, and Pueblo.Job Summary:
External Relations Strategists further the mission of the Consortium by supporting local and regional community partners (such as community coalitions, local public health agencies, treatment providers, law enforcement, and elected officials) under the guidance of the Director and Assistant Director. The primary purpose of this position is to provide technical assistance, knowledge of resources, and subject matter expertise to community partners as they plan and implement local and regional interventions to address the drug overdose crisis.Examples of Work Performed:
- Build and maintain relationships with partners and stakeholders in the region
- Provide technical assistance as needed (i.e.: local strategic planning, identification of available tools and programs, education surrounding policy and advocacy efforts)
- Connect community partners with available resources from the federal, state and local level
- Provide input from community stakeholders to the Consortium and its partners as they continue to develop resources and implement strategies at the state level
- Develop and deliver presentations as requested by community partners
- Represent the Center/Consortium at community events
- Work closely with other members of the External Relations team
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Providing these services will require approximately 30% travel, sometimes multiple days in a row, to provide adequate assistance to community partners. Additional support will be provided through Zoom and other means of virtual participation.This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.Salary and Benefits:
Diversity and Equity:
- The annual salary range (or hiring range) for this position has been established at $44,010 - $65,000
- The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
- The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
- This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
- Here is a link to an overview of the benefits package
- Here is a link to a Total Compensation Calculator
- The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
- The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- A bachelor’s degree in a health-related field such as public health, health administration, pharmacy, nursing, behavioral health or another closely related field.
- At least one (1) year of professional experience in community or external relations, non-profit administration, local public health, or a similar environment
- Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
- At least three (3) years of professional experience at a local, county or state public health agency
- Training and/or experience in the field of substance use prevention, intervention, harm reduction, treatment, or recovery
- Experience providing technical assistance to community organizations such as community coalitions, local public health agencies and elected officials
- Experience at a local, county or state public health agency
Conditions of Employment:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution and institutional partners.
- Effective public speaking and meeting facilitation skills
- Ability to handle sensitive matters that require discretion and confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to problem-solve, multi-task, and work independently.
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner and to take appropriate initiative and work proactively with minimal direction.
- Ability to support and encourage workplace diversity including ability to recognize opportunities to promote diversity within and outside the department, and active participation in campus diversity activities.
- Ability to establish work priorities and follow through to ensure completion of activities.
- Ability to identify and implement actions to improve existing processes, practices, and behaviors to achieve School objectives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Teams and Outlook with ability to develop professional correspondence, documents, spreadsheets, presentations, etc.
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 30%
- The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at: https://www.cu.edu/vaccine-requirement
External RelationsPrimary Location:
Oct 21, 2021Unposting Date: