Boston, MA Category:
Part Time Non-Benefited Positions Posted On:
Tue Jun 22 2021 Job Description:
The Talent Search program identifies and assists individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds who have the potential to succeed in higher education. The program provides academic, career, and financial counseling to its participants and encourages them to graduate from high school and continue on to and complete their post-secondary education. The program publicizes the availability of financial aid and assist participant with the post-secondary application process. Talent Search also encourages persons who have not completed education programs at the secondary or post-secondary level to enter or reenter and complete post-secondary education. The goal of Talent Search is to increase the number of youth from disadvantaged backgrounds who complete high school and enroll in and complete their post-secondary education.
Under the leadership of the TRiO Director, the TRiO Student Mentor provides support to students who seek assistance in making informal decisions in the areas that include academic, social, and career services, and acts as an advocate for program participants.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit and manage a caseload of Chelsea High School students, as assigned
- Handle confidential information with tact, discretion and in compliance with FERPA regulations
- Monitor mentees academic, behavioral, and mental standing through Aspen/X2 to provide support
- Create activities for students throughout the academic year that support program objectives
- Collaborate with Chelsea High School administration, teachers, and counselors for wrap-around service
- Contact mentees regularly or as needed for scholarship, workshops or program referrals
- Attend biweekly and/or monthly mentor meetings, or as needed
- Attend program events, programs, internal professional development opportunities
- Take the lead in planning one or more activity or workshop (develop time-line, PowerPoint presentations etc.)
- Provide support to senior staff during field trips
- Maintain logs and record of contacts with mentee on Blumen and other relevant computer applications
- Ensure mentee progress is tracked using forms designated by the program
- Remain knowledgeable of TRiO Chelsea/Talent Search Program services
- Support in tasks related to Dual Enrollment and Early College students
- General office tasks to include email communications, and over the phone customer service etiquette
- Perform tasks as assigned by Supervisor or TRiO Director
- High School Diploma
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university pursuing either Certificate, Associate's or Bachelor's Degree
- Computer skills and ability to learn job-related software, including Blumen, Aspen/X2, Excel and Google applications
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule
- CHS Alumni/Current member of TRiO preferred but not required.
- Bilingual in Spanish strongly preferred but not required.
- Experience working with minority and disadvantaged students.
- Knowledge of TRiO programs helpful.
- Some tutoring experience helpful but not required.
Pay rate: $15.00 per hour. This is a grant-funded non-benefited position that is scheduled to end on 08/31/2021.
Review Date: Opened until filled