Financial Aid SpecialistCampus:
201100755Full or Part Time:
YesJob Description Summary:
The Financial Aid Specialist is responsible for processing and completing federal verification of all selected Federal financial aid applications, managing required documents for the financial aid application process, and resolving SAR codes 400 and 401 as well as other conflicting information. This position requires a high level of accuracy, attention to detail, excellent verbal and written communications skills, and ability to understand and enforce Federal regulation. This position reports to the Director of Financial Aid and must have demonstrated ability to work independently and harmoniously in a team environment. Duties and Responsibilities:
Attention to complex regulations, financial details, and customer service skills are required. This position requires a high degree of independence and efficiency.
• Verify data reported on student financial aid applications in accordance with federal regulations using appropriate tax information and documentation provided by the student; submit necessary corrections to government agencies for reprocessing; adjust financial aid awards as necessary. Education and Experience:
• Evaluate each applicable financial aid applicant for compliance with federal verification process requirements, including reconciling SAR codes 400 and 401.
• Review and submit documentation for citizenship verification to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services.
• Communicate frequently with financial aid applicants and parents/spouses to resolve incomplete or inaccurate financial aid information via email, phone, and in-person.
• Manage Return to Title IV aid refund calculations in conjunction with the Student Accounts Office and in accordance with federal regulations
• Manage state grant programs, Gear Up, and other state programs, including enrollment verification and request for payment.
• Advise students about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, indebtedness, and packaging.• Serve as a financial aid advisor in person as well as via email and phone. • Advise students about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, indebtedness, and packaging. • Process withdrawals and graduates from the University.
• Inform students and parents regarding financial aid programs and procedures and assist with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application process.
• Participate in professional development opportunities, and remain current on changes and updates in Federal Title IV financial aid regulations.
• Perform other duties as assigned which support the purpose and initiatives of the Financial Aid Office and the University
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Physical Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree and experience in financial aid/tax and accounting or a comparable combination of experience from other professional positions preferred.
• Dedication to student service and success
• Demonstrated ability to work well with students, parents, faculty, and staff
• Willingness and ability to perform occasional evening and weekend work during peak enrollment periods or as needed based on volume of student transactions.
• Ability to interact with students and parents calmly and graciously, often under difficult personal situations with sensitive financial information, and be capable of explaining University and Federal policies to students and parents.
• Experience with CAMS student information system, PowerFAIDS financial aid software, or comparable databases.
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
• Familiarity with universities offering both undergraduate and graduate level programs
• Experience in financial aid in a college or university setting
• Familiarity with the role of regulations in delivery of services and financial support
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. Open Until Filled:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and talk or hear.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
NoQuick Link to Posting: