Support StaffPay Grade:
15Major Administrative Unit / College:
Advancement Administration 10069887Sub Area:
APSA- Pro SupervisorySalary:
Salary Commensurate with ExperienceLocation:
Administrative/Business/Professional, Education/Training, Financial/Accounting, PR/Media/Graphics/Comm/Fund Raising, Professional Supervisory- APSA, Full Time (90-100%), Union
The Director of Finance & Accounting will manage the budget function for the Office of the Vice President for University Advancement and its major divisions including Advancement Administration, University Development, MSU Alumni Office, Advancement Information Systems & Donor Strategy, and Advancement Communications & Marketing. In addition to managing the receiving and depositing of all gifts to Michigan State University through University Development, the Director will also oversee the establishment of new gift fund accounts (including both endowments and current-use funds) and ensure the appropriate maintenance and transmittal of information to other budget managers to ensure that gift funds are spent in compliance with both donor intent and university policy. The successful candidate will also serve as University Advancement's principal liaison with the offices of the Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer, Controller, Treasury and Financial Management, Office of Investments, Planning and Budgets as well as unit budget offices across campus.
Characteristic Duties and ResponsibilitiesPlans, directs and manages budget processes and tracking of expenditures for University Advancement. Develops and monitors internal controls. Develops procedures for obtaining approvals for appropriate expenditures and allocating expenses to relevant budgets.Maintains regular budget reporting through Enterprise Business System and other tools as appropriate. Provides guidance and training to staff to ensure compliance with University procedures and timely payment of vendors and reimbursement of university expenditures to staff.Oversees purchasing processes on behalf of the VPUA.Works with donors and development staff to answer questions or resolve problems related to the transfer of gifts including, but not limited to appropriate allocation the correct account(s); transfers via wire transfer or ACH, credit card processing and transfer and disposition of marketable securities.Coordinates closely with Gift and Member Services to ensure the timely processing and acknowledgement of gifts. Assists in reviewing and improving gift processing procedures.Ensures the timely depositing of gifts into the appropriate accounts. Oversees reconciliation of various accounts.Manages relationships with banks, brokerage houses, and credit card companies and other vendors in collaboration with the Office of the Executive VP for Administrative Services. Ensures appropriate levels of service are delivered to ensure the timely processing of gift transactions and efficient transfer of funds to university accounts. Serves as primary liaison for University Advancement regarding PCI compliance.Hires, evaluates and directs the professional and support staff for the office of F&A.Works closely with the Director of Human Resources and the VPUA on managing the division staffing plan and ensuring that budget resources are aligned with staffing and plans.
University Advancement Staff in order to provide information, answer questions or resolve problems relating to gifts or pledges to Michigan State University.Donors to answer questions and solve problems regarding the transfer and crediting of gifts.
- Vice President for University Advancement and the Advancement Cabinet to serve as a resource for financial and budget.
- Office of Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer, Controller, Office of Treasury and Financial Management, Office of Planning and Budgets, Office of the General Counsel, Internal Audit and the University’s external auditors to ensure that funds are appropriately credited, documented and managed according to GASB and donor agreements.
- Vice Presidents, Deans, Program Directors and their budget officers to ensure that funds are appropriately managed.
Direction is received from Vice President for University Advancement
Function and administrative supervision is exercised over Finance and Accounting staff.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by competing a four-year college degree program in Business Administration, Accounting, Management or related field; five to eight years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in financial or accounting practices, funding practices and or related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Desired Education, Experience, and Demonstrated Skills
- A four-year college degree program in business administration with a preference for accounting and at least five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in financial or accounting practices.
- Experience in a complex decentralized environment such as higher education or healthcare.
- Organized and detail oriented with a track record of building and improving systems, policies and procedures in a collaborative and constructive environment.
- Experience in working with maintaining and improving information systems.
- A track record of outstanding internal and external customer service skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to appropriately respond to both internal and external customers with utmost customer service abilities.
Highly Desirable Characteristics
- Licensed as a CPA and or Master of Business Administration.
- Experience in fund accounting, non-profit organizations, GASB standards.
- Knowledge of Internal Revenue Service rules and regulations regarding charitable gifts
- Experience with endowments and trust administration.
- Experience in an organization focused on fund raising, and donor and alumni relations.
- Experience with MSU’s financial and accounting practices, including EBS.
- Experience with Cognos, or other similar data warehouse management, query and reporting tools.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Resume and Cover Letter
Together-we-will StatementThe university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Work hours are 8 AM to 5 PM with some nights and weekends
Bidding eligibility ends on 10/26/2021 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Oct 20, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Nov 21, 2021 Eastern Standard Time