At Unity, sustainability isn't a buzzword. It's the foundation of our entire approach and has been for more than 50 years.
We apply sustainability principles to everything we do, from our properties around the State of Maine, to our online degrees offered to students everywhere, to our enrichment experiences and entrepreneurial endeavors at locations from northern Maine to Arizona to Brazil.
Engage with Unity College and you'll start to ask tough questions, challenge the status quo, and envision new possibilities. If taking the lead in creating a more sustainable future sounds like the future you want, we can make it happen.
The Distance Education (DE) Assistant Dean of General Education assists the DE Dean of General Education and Environmental Studies in providing leadership in the Distance Education general education curriculum, which includes the Environmental Professional Core, and in their area of expertise. The Distance Education Assistant Dean is expected to hire, train, and supervise faculty, assess general education, provide student support, career advice and mentoring, market programs, and develop new audiences/partnerships for programs.
The Assistant Dean will conduct all teaching through the institution's Learning Management Software (LMS), implement appropriate pedagogical techniques for the online environment, and provide course materials in a professional, appropriate, clear, and rigorous manner. This position works closely with and reports to the Dean of General Education and Environmental Studies and is based in the Unity College Distance Education offices located in New Gloucester, Maine.
- Oversee hiring and supervision of qualified general education course adjunct instructors; responsible for helping the Dean maintain general education program integrity, including any accreditation requirements.
- Be knowledgeable in the appropriate delivery of the content in an online format.
- Teach up to 240 student credit hours per calendar year as assigned.
- Maintain a robust scholarly agenda.
- Use different learning modes and types of technology to engage students in an online environment.
- Guide capstone projects in assigned programs as needed.
- Assess and evaluate courses and programs in general education.
- Support student professional and academic advising.
- Participate in Distance Education governance as assigned.
- Demonstrate a high degree of commitment to customer service and quality education.
- Work with Unity College student-support resources on behalf of students as necessary.
- Work with Distance Education staff and leaders to develop strategies for effective advising and retention efforts.
- Collaborate with the Dean of General Education and Environmental Studies, Vice President of Distance Education, and other Distance Education Academic staff on student learning issues and scheduling needs.
- Become knowledgeable and articulate about Unity College Distance Education, its programs, market niche, strategies and procedures.
- Understand how to work with non-traditional and adult learners.
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures with leadership.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please see the attached job description for a full list of roles and responsibilities.
The ideal candidate will have at minimum a Master's degree in Environmental Studies, Environmental Humanities, Sustainability Science or other equivalent degree, in addition to the following:
- The Assistant Dean will have leadership experience in higher education, teaching, and assessment. A Ph.D. and experience administering online courses in an adult market is preferred.
- Candidates must have strong oral and written communication skills, including facility with technical terminology appropriate to the position.
- Excellent initiative and organizational skills with ability to work both autonomously and in a team.
- Great time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical and academic abilities.
- Good skills in word processing, spreadsheets and computerized database systems.
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of the college.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being discreet, courteous, and well poised.
As our distance education team rapidly grows, we have also acquired space at Pineland Farms in New Gloucester, Maine where our enterprise and distance education teams will be located. This position will be located at 49 Farm View Drive, New Gloucester, Maine.
Unity College offers a generous benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, short term disability, long term disability, life insurance, PTO, and a company match on our 403b retirement plan. Waiting periods will apply.
At Unity College, we don't just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our students, and our community. Unity College is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.