Requisition Number:34300Location: Boulder, Colorado Employment Type:Research FacultySchedule:Full-TimeDate Posted:18-Oct-2021 Close All
NSIDC is encouraging applications for a team-oriented mid-level software dev/ops engineer with an interest in developing and supporting the infrastructure for cloud-based data and services on the NSIDC Distributed Active Archive Center (DAAC). You would be working on a variety of projects, including cloud computing on the NASA DAAC cloud data management system, infrastructure, integration applications, and operational automation. Our development group applies software engineering best practices with modern tools and languages to a variety of customer-facing projects that support snow and ice research, data management, and dissemination. We apply processes such as Kanban, Scaled Agile Framework, continuous integration, and pair programming to produce high-quality software.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Who We Are
The National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC), http://nsidc.org, part of the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado at Boulder, serves as a national information and referral center in support of snow and ice research. NSIDC is a trusted source of cryospheric data and services, and is a leader in research and development within this field.
At CIRES, the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and the University of Colorado Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system. https://cires.colorado.edu
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Work within a distributed team to design, develop, and maintain software services and infrastructure on the NASA cloud data management system.
- Debugging data ingest issues, followed by identifying and implementing long-term solutions.
- Deployment and testing of new software stack releases to testing and production environments.
- Work with project team members (project managers, subject matter experts, developers, and operational staff) to translate customer requests into working software, including writing user stories for developer/operator-facing problems.
- Work with project team members to develop a quarterly work plan, including requirements gathering, story writing, and interacting with other teams to determine cross-team dependencies.
What You Should Know
- Please note that those applicants requiring visa sponsorship now or in the future will not be considered for this position.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to legally work in the United States on a full-time basis.
- Due to NASA funding restrictions, candidates who have affiliations or appointments with Chinese Government organizations, Chinese Government controlled organizations, Chinese-owned companies, or any company incorporated under the laws of the People’s Republic of China are ineligible for hire.
What We Can Offer
- CIRES can offer a generous compensation package. Salary is commensurate with education and experience and determined based on our CIRES internal career track classification.
- The annual hiring salary range for this associate scientist position is $78,000 - $112,000.
- Relocation funds are available for this position following CIRES and the University of Colorado’s relocation processes and procedures.
BenefitsThe University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
.Be StatementsBe ambitious. Be encouraged. Be Boulder.What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in computer science, mathematics, physics, engineering, or other physical science.
- Experience with cloud-based data storage and services.
- Experience developing applications written in Python.
What You Will Need
- Ability to work collaboratively both in-person and remote, incorporate new ideas in group processes, and negotiate reasonable compromises.
- Desire to be part of a scientific research and data management center and to learn more about the domain.
- Willingness to work in Kanban, Agile, and the Scaled Agile Framework.
- Ability to learn new systems quickly in an on‐the‐job environment.
- Ability to be self‐directed and recognize tasks that need to be completed, take ownership of them, work through them, and ask for help when needed.
- Ability to contribute to a diverse and inclusive workplace as part of the CU Boulder Inclusive Excellence vision.
- Occasional travel (3-5 times per year) for meetings and workshops.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, specifically S3, Lambda, CloudWatch, and Step Functions.
- Experience with BitBucket, GitHub, or similar hosted revision control systems.
- Experience working in a macOS or Linux development environment.
- Experience with an infrastructure-as-code tool (for example Terraform or Puppet).
- A solid foundation in software development including testing and debugging, and continuous integration.
- Experience developing and deploying on virtual machines or using Docker containers.
- Familiarity with Earth Science data and research activities, especially cryospheric sciences.
Special InstructionsTo apply, please submit the following materials:
Resume or CV.Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.Be prepared to submit a list of 5 professional references (2 of whom must be/must have been supervisors or professors). If you are selected as a finalist, we will ask you to contact your references so that they can complete a SkillSurvey questionnaire on your behalf. SkillSurvey is an online automated reference check solution. This information will be kept confidential and viewable only by the search committee.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version (if applicable) as an optional attachment.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. This position will remain posted until filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact InformationPosting Contact Name:
David (Chris) TorrencePosting Contact Email: [email protected]