Job location: Los Angeles, CA Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
R0006954 Job Description:
We are seeking a Public Relations Strategist to advance a strong institutional network, increase overall awareness of our University, support our Advancement strategies and increase our national profile by developing and executing effective communication and news media outreach strategies.
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology has begun to generate significant regional and national news media attention and is interested in finding a Public Relations Strategist that is prepared to leverage and build on that success. We have amazing stories to share about our students, alumni, faculty and staff and seek a PR Strategist that understands how to use the power of story to generate strategic news media coverage. We also rely heavily on digital content for our social media and seek a PR professional who knows how to make the most of good content.
The PR Strategist will report directly to the Executive Director of Communications & Public Affairs. The PR Strategist may also be called upon to provide leadership and guidance to other members of the TCSPP Communications and Public Affairs Team. Strong presentation and writing skills are a must. Be prepared to share writing examples demonstrating a wide variety of assignments including blogs, speeches, news releases, social media posts and other digital content. Candidates should be prepared to describe in detail how they develop and implement PR strategies as well as how they utilize social media to advance those strategies. Candidates should also be prepared to demonstrate how they apply metrics to their work.
This position is based in Los Angeles but our department is also responsible for working with news media outlets in Chicago, Dallas, Washington D.C. and New Orleans. We are also committed to using communications and content strategies to educate our most important audiences about mental health issues and the importance of wellness.
- Develop an effective news media outreach plan including goals, budget, tactics, timeline and metrics.
- The PR Plan should advance an aggressive PR strategy, seeking high-level placements in print, broadcast and digital media – regionally, locally (where are campuses are located) and nationally.
- Coordinate all public relations activities
- Must be prepared to work with non-English speaking and international news media – demonstrating an understanding how differently those outlets function
- Coordinate these efforts with our Social Media team to engage audiences across traditional and new media
- Leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts within business and higher education media
- Manage media inquiries and interview requests
- Provide our spokespeople with media training and ongoing training support
- Create content for press releases, byline articles and keynote presentations
- Monitor, analyze and communicate PR results on a quarterly basis
- Maintain a keen understanding of higher education PR trends and make appropriate recommendations regarding communication strategy
- Support and periodically train, a team of part-time student workers to support of these tasks
- At minimum of 7 years experience in public relations, either for an agency or as a member of an established PR department.
- Bachelor's degree
- Proven track record designing and implementing successful public relations campaigns at both a local and national level
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Experience with social media – particularly with utilizing social media strategies to advance news media outreach
- Experience as a company or organization spokesperson; comfortable and skilled with both broadcast and print media interviews
- Experience producing or overseeing production of digital content such graphics, videos or podcasts
- Degree in Marketing, Journalism, Communications or a related discipline
- Bilingual language skills
- Experience working with public affairs strategies or working in partnership with public affairs professionals
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please note: For the protection of faculty, staff, students and all who enter our facilities, The Chicago School requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, with limited exemptions, as a condition of employment.