University Fellow(s) - AdmissionPosition Number:
Full TimeSensitive Position:
NoSensitive Position Statement:
A sensitive position requires a fingerprint-based criminal history check. Campus Security Authority:
This is NOT a sensitive position.
YesCampus Security Authority Statement:
This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.Designated Personnel:
NoDesignated Personnel Statement:
A “designated position” could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing. Statement of Economic Interest:
This is NOT a “designated position.”
NoStatement of Economic Interest Statement:
This position does NOT require a Statement of Personal Economic Interest.Restricted Position:
NoRestricted Position Statement:
A restricted position would be subject to availability of funding. Chief Objective of Position:
This is NOT a restricted position.
The University Fellow will support Christopher Newport University (CNU) by welcoming, orienting, transitioning and engaging new students to CNU. The Fellow will be responsible for conducting extensive recruitment travel, interviewing prospective students, giving presentations to campus visitors and otherwise telling his/her CNU story through various mediums with the goal of recruiting the best prospective students. This position will also assist with various Admission Officer duties, including but not limited to reading application files for decision, counseling families through the college search process, assisting with processing and operations and participating in recruitment events on and off campus. The Fellow will also have the opportunity to offer creative and innovative solutions to help improve the CNU student experience. This position is generally a one-year appointment. Work Tasks:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) required:
- The Admission Fellow will carry out assigned tasks to support new student recruitment initiatives as assigned by the Dean of Admission, Director of Admission Operations, Associate Directors of Admission, and Assistant Directors of Admission.
- Develop and maintain exemplary relationships with prospective students via personal contact during travel recruitment visits and phone calls, as well as through communication plan initiatives via letters, emails, blogs, chats, virtual college fairs and other multimedia venues; provide effective communication with administrators and support staff; maintain positive public relations with faculty, staff, students, alumni and community.
- Interview prospective students and provide insightful information to help them validate interest in CNU in addition to rating the student for consideration as an evaluative measure during a holistic admission and merit scholarship application review.
- Represent CNU at college fairs, high schools and on and off-campus recruitment events.
- Conduct persuasive information sessions and other presentations to prospective students and their families about CNU; conduct first reads of admission application files; and research, evaluate and suggest innovative ideas for the recruitment, enrollment, retention, student success and student engagement initiatives for students.
- Assist and provide support for University wide programs to include Orientation, Move-In, Freshman Dessert Receptions, Commencement and special Presidential events as requested;
- Promote the mission of Christopher Newport University and adhere to all departmental policies and procedures and support additional University programs that enhance the overall experience for students, as approved by the supervisor. This may include, but is not limited to Signing Day, Senior Week, Commencement activities, and Admission events.
- This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty; develop and maintain very positive and professional customer service and/or relations within the office/department and with all constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, guests, and employees; demonstrate a positive and professional attitude and treat everyone with dignity and respect: fully support the “Student’s First” value at CNU and routinely goes the extra mile in providing service.
- Develop and maintain very positive and professional customer service and/or relations within the office/department and with all constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, guests, and employees. Demonstrate a positive and professional attitude and treat everyone with dignity and respect. Fully support the “Student’s First” value at CNU and routinely goes the extra mile in providing service.
- Review and communicate safety issues to assure a safe and healthy workplace and a reduction in work related absence.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must possess in-depth knowledge of CNU; excellent interpersonal communication, organizational and time management skills; must be highly motivated, innovative and creative and have strong computer skills; must multitask effectively, using limited time to accomplish a significant number of assignments; must have the ability to foster positive internal and external public relations and work both independently and on a team; must have the ability to consult with faculty, administrators, students and families; extensive travel (including nights and weekends) is required; must possess a valid driver’s license by official start date; must be able to communicate the value of a liberal arts education at CNU and possess energy and enthusiasm about the CNU culture and experience. This job entails lifting and moving objects.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) preferred:
Preference will be given to candidates with excellent ability or potential in public speaking, professional writing and individual interviewing skills.Required Education:
December 2021 or May 2022 graduate of Christopher Newport University.Experience Required:
The successful candidate will have significant and active engagement in the co-curricular and academic life of CNU, to include involvement with faculty, administrators, and other students in addition to demonstrated experience providing leadership to peers.Experience Preferred:
Preference will be given to candidates with prior experience and involvement with extracurricular activities; experience in a task-oriented business setting, adhering to deadlines with a high quality of work; experience in customer service and/or public speaking.CNU Information:
Selected by The Princeton Review to be included in The 387 Best Colleges: 2022 Edition, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience – great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. The University is located in Newport News, Virginia, enrolls approximately 5,000 students, and is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership, and service. Academic programs at Christopher Newport University encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University is ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as 3rd among public regional universities in the South and 6th overall, and has recently completed more than $1 billion in capital construction on its 260-acre campus. Christopher Newport University is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored, and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We recruit exceptional and diverse faculty and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit www.cnu.edu. Posting Number:
AP175PNumber of Vacancies:
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references at the time of application. Review of applications will begin November 7, 2021.Applications received after November 7, 2021, will be accepted but considered only if needed. Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check. Per the Governor’s order, as a state employee, you would be required to disclose vaccine status. If you are fully vaccinated, you must provide documents confirming this status. The Governor requires that all employees who are unvaccinated, or not yet fully vaccinated to be tested weekly until they are fully vaccinated. This is a condition of employment. Christopher Newport University (CNU) will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the CNU Human Resources Office by calling (757) 594-7145. Quick Link for Internal Postings:
https://jobs.cnu.edu/postings/12064EEO Statement :
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully Committed to Access and Opportunity.
Notice of Non-Discrimination & Title IX Policy Statement: