Chair of the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country. KSU offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees to its more than 41,000 students. With 11 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the second-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties, entrepreneurial spirit, and Division I athletics draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. Ranked a top choice for students by U.S. News, Kennesaw State is a Carnegie-designated doctoral research institution (R2), placing it among an elite group of only 6 percent of U.S. colleges and universities with an R1 or R2 status. Location
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Our Marietta campus is located at 1100 South Marietta Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060. Department Information
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Kennesaw State University offers ACS accredited degree programs in chemistry and biochemistry in addition to concentrations in forensic chemistry and pharmaceutical chemistry. In addition, the department offers a master's degree in Chemical Sciences. Our department is one of the largest chemistry and biochemistry departments in Georgia, serving more than 600 undergraduate majors. Our department consists of more than 30 full-time faculty members, all of whom are available to assist our students as they grow and mature as scientists. The faculty members have research interests, strengths, and funding that span all of the typical subdisciplines of chemistry: analytical, biochemistry, inorganic, organic, and physical chemistry as well as chemistry education research and interdisciplinary endeavors. Undergraduate research is a critical component of our students' preparation and training, and all of our faculty engage in undergraduate research. Kennesaw State University is authentically diverse. The department's majors represent an ethnically and culturally diverse population, and we expect our faculty to respect and value each student's contributions. The department is committed to building a diverse faculty and staff and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. Job Summary
Kennesaw State University is now accepting applications for a twelve-month, tenured faculty member meeting the requirements of full professor to serve as Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry beginning July 1, 2022. The application deadline has been extended. Responsibilities
Providing leadership toward achieving the highest possible level of excellence in teaching, research and service; Supporting, encouraging, and communicating effectively across cultural boundaries and working harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff; Required Qualifications
- Recruiting, retaining, managing, and developing a collaborative, collegial and diverse group of scholars who value excellence in teaching, research, and mentorship;
- Managing department budget, instrumentation, facilities, and other resources;
- Supporting a transparent shared governance environment; Providing oversight of academic programs including maintaining ACS accreditation and developing new programs; Advocating for a growing department comprised of a dedicated and diverse faculty and staff serving a vibrant student body, with respect to the mission and expectations of the department, college and university; Implementing a plan for the departmental role in strengthening KSU as an R2 research institution by supporting faculty efforts in extramural funding; Maintaining an extramurally funded research program in chemistry, biochemistry, or a similar field.
An earned doctoral degree, or its foreign equivalent, in an area of chemistry or biochemistry or a similar field is required. Faculty at the rank of full professor, or immediately eligible for that rank coming into KSU. Preferred Qualifications
A strong record of successful leadership, including faculty, staff and student mentoring, program and curriculum innovation, and the cultivation and promotion of a shared vision among colleagues; Required Documents to Attach
- Administrative experience, including budgeting, in a department, college, or university setting;
- An understanding/record of promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity;
- Record of excellence in teaching at the undergraduate and/or graduate level, reflective of current and best practices;
- Experience working with colleagues in multiple specialties or disciplines;
- Evidence of a distinguished, nationally recognized record in a field that interfaces with the department's research programs, and a history of strong extramural funding by R2 standards;
- A record of professional service and community engagement at department, college, university, discipline, and/or community levels;
- Commitment to shared governance, collaborative decision-making, and the values of inquiry, equity, inclusiveness, and collegiality.
Apply Before Date
- Cover letter
- Statement of research interest
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Leadership vision statement
- Statement on diversity and inclusive excellence
- Unofficial transcripts (official transcripts due upon hire)
- Names and contact details of three references
For full consideration, applications must be received by March 31, 2022. This position is open until filled. This application deadline has been extended. Contact Information
For questions about this faculty opening, please contact Kevin Stokes, [email protected]
For more information or questions about a faculty job posting, please contact Academic Affairs at [email protected]
. For technical support, please call OneUSG Connect Support at 877-251-2644, or by email at [email protected]
. Equal Employment Opportunity
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007.
Participant ID: 61415 Background Check
Per the University System of Georgia background check policy, all final candidates will be required to consent to a criminal background investigation. Final candidates may be asked to disclose criminal record history during the initial screening process and prior to a conditional offer of employment. Applicants for positions of trust with screening results which confirm a disqualifying criminal history will be immediately disqualified from employment eligibility.
All applicants are required to include professional references as part of their application process. Some positions may require additional job-based screenings such as motor vehicle report, credit check, pre-employment drug screening and/or verification of academic credentials. https://www.usg.edu/hr/assets/hr/hrap_manual/HRAP_Background_Investigation_Employment.pdf
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=234324&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency