Research Operations Specialist Location:
Gallaudet University Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Reporting to the directors for the Action and Brain Lab (ABL) and the Motion Light Lab (ML2), both research labs of Visual Language and Visual Learning (VL2), the Research Operations Specialist coordinates the day-to-day tasks of ABL and ML2 and communicates about projects, programs, products, tools, and resources offered by both labs and VL2 to the public and targeted audiences; and provides logistical support for different ABL and ML2 projects, both short and long term, and involves communicating on social platforms and providing learning experiences.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:Coordinates operations and communications for the Action and Brain Lab and the Motion Light Lab.Coordinates lab projects, community engagement, grant writing and reporting, and support for collaborative efforts between CoLabs.Develops high-quality scientific translational content and resources for ML2’s ASL Literacy Activities and similar initiatives. Coordinates research operations for the SAIL 2 project among internal and external team members.Tracks and reports on the progress, goals, and milestones of the SAIL 2 project team.Leads ongoing CREST Network Event Planning.Coordinates logistical support for ongoing activities of the CREST Network.Assumes the responsibility for communication and engagement with CREST Network members.Coordinates operations for the Co-Executive Producers of Baobab Universe. Supports goals, branding, and engagement with the Baobab brand within Gallaudet University, the labs, and with the larger community.Establishes and maintains a positive and supportive working relationship with co-workers and supervisor.Shows a genuine commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and participates in activities and workshops to foster continuous learning.Serves as a mandatory reporter under Title IX; and commits to completing Title IX training and other compliance requirements on an annual basis.Performs related and other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications (When the candidate’s resume meets these qualifications, it will be screened in):
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of one year of work experience in project management in sign language and interactive experiences (college student work and/or internship experience will be considered).
- Fluency in American Sign Language.
Preferred Qualifications (While not required, it is an advantage for what the position needs):
- Masters’ Degree in sign language education, accessible technology, deaf studies, or a related field.
- Experience with website development (CMS, or HTML/CSS).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Qualities that will help the incumbent be more successful in the position):
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary research team and carry out tasks autonomously.
- Demonstrated experience with project management tools.
- Demonstrated experience with project management tools and social media platforms.
- Demonstrated experience in logistical support of running a collaborative network
- Demonstrated ability to work with and across University departments, outside constituents and groups.
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
Other Important Information:
- This is an on-site position, with some remote work available upon ad hoc approval.
- This appointment is for up to two years, based in part on the availability of funding, organizational needs, and satisfactory performance.
- The starting date for this position is October 2021 or until the position is filled (applications received before September 30th will receive full consideration).
- All employees are expected to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to submit their vaccination record prior to entering campus or by 45 days of employment, whichever is earlier.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
The successful candidate will undergo a background check that must be cleared prior to working at Gallaudet University.
Gallaudet University is an equal opportunity employer/educational institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, national origin, religion, age, hearing status, disability, genetic information, covered veteran status, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, source of income, place of business or residence, pregnancy, childbirth, or any other unlawful basis. This policy is in compliance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the District of Columbia Human Rights Act, and other applicable laws and applies to all procedures affecting applicants and employees including, but not necessarily limited to: recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, reassignment, reappointment, tenure, demotion, selection for training, layoff, furlough, and termination, compensation, and all other conditions or privileges of employment.