Assistant Professor of EnglishJob Description:
As a part of a diverse community of faculty and staff who represent many faith systems and worldviews, Marian University seeks an Assistant Professor of English (Tenure-Track) to promote our Catholic Franciscan mission and identity by developing courses with social justice, multicultural, and/or community writing themes. This position, which will start Fall 2022, also includes advising English majors, serving as Marian University’s Director of Writing, participating in departmental activities, and maintaining a scholarly agenda, among other responsibilities. Required qualifications include a PhD in Rhetoric and Composition granted by August 2022. The ideal candidate will have previous experience with interdisciplinary curriculum development, involvement with university writing centers, and familiarity with hiring, training, and/or mentoring first-year writing instructors. Marian University is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs. Marian University has been experiencing significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values and honoring the legacy of the founding congregation through transformative education, unity in diversity, leadership through service, integrating faith and life, and institutional policies.
- Teaching load: 18 credits per academic year as the Director of Writing.
- Teach advanced rhetoric and composition courses with a social justice, multicultural, and/or community writing theme.
- Teach in the general education first-year writing program.
- Serve as Marian University’s Director of Writing, which involves hiring, training, and supporting adjunct writing instructors; coordinating with Marian University’s general education program to develop an interdisciplinary writing curriculum; directing the first-year writing courses (including ENG 101: English Composition and ENG 112: Community & Writing); coordinating writing placement exams; collaborating with Marian University’s Writing Center; and supporting The Future is Ours to Write high school writing contest.
- Mentor students from diverse backgrounds through academic advising.
- Participate in department activities and meetings.
- Participate in the life of the campus and university service, including faculty governance and co-curricular programs.
- Maintain a scholarly publishing agenda and engage in other professional activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Composition granted by August 2022.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at a university level, especially first-year writing courses.
- Evidence of ability to work with diverse students in an interdisciplinary, collaborative, culturally sustaining, and inclusive academic environment.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, collaborative, and able to work independently with colleagues throughout the university and in the community.
- Potential for a publishing agenda.
- Experience with a university writing center (either as an employee or a collaborator).
- Experience in social justice, multicultural, community, and/or interdisciplinary curriculum development is strongly desired.
- Experience hiring, training, mentoring, and/or supporting first-year writing instructors is strongly desired.
- Experience advising undergraduate English majors is strongly desired.
Review of applications will begin November 20 and will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates are invited to submit a letter of intent, a current CV, a writing sample, a teaching philosophy, and a concise equity and diversity statement about your teaching experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population.
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.Posting Number:
P047FNumber of Vacancies:
1Open Until Filled:
NoQuick Link for Internal Postings: