Assistant Professor of Computer ScienceJob Description:
As a part of diverse community of faculty and staff who represent many faith systems and worldviews, the Department of Mathematics at Marian University in Indianapolis, IN seeks a dynamic and innovative leader for the position of tenure-track Assistant Professor in Computer Science. The Assistant Professor in Computer Science will promote our Catholic Franciscan mission and identity by demonstrating academic excellence and the potential for distinctive contributions to the holistic development of students. Area of specialization is open, but candidates should be able to assist the department in one or more of the following areas: Data Structures and Algorithms, Computer Graphics, Operating Systems, Programming Languages, Computer Architecture, Information Technology, and Database Systems. The appointment shall begin in the fall of 2022. The Department of Mathematics at Marian University is a collaborative academic community committed to fostering student engagement, problem solving, and communication. The department offers degrees in both Mathematics and Computer Science in order to develop transformative leaders for service to the world in a variety of areas of business, government, and education. The department recognizes the breadth of people, thought, and experience that contribute to research, education, and related professions in the mathematical sciences. We welcome everyone interested in mathematics, statistics, computer science, and related fields as we work to build a community that is diverse, respectful, accessible, and inclusive. We are committed to ensuring equitable access to opportunities and resources for people of any race, ethnicity, religious belief, gender identity, age, economic background, disability status, or any other social or physical component of their identity. Through our curriculum, our classrooms, our scholarship, our outreach to the community, and ourselves, we seek to acknowledge and carefully address existing biases, barriers, and uses and abuses of power and privilege. This commitment to reducing discrimination and promoting diversity and inclusion is rooted in the Franciscan Values of Marian University, which make social justice an indispensable part of our calling. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values and honoring the legacy of the founding congregation through transformative education, unity in diversity, leadership through service, integrating faith and life, and institutional policies.
- Teaching Load: 24 credits per academic year.
- Teach a variety of courses, including classes within the general education curriculum and undergraduate major curriculum.
- Share in the ongoing development and implementation of department and college activities and projects.
- Engage in research, scholarship, and other professional activities.
- Mentor students through advising, research, and internship opportunities.
- Participate in the life of the campus and university service, including participation in faculty governance and co-curricular programs.
- Other duties as assigned
- A Ph.D. in Computer Science is preferred. A terminal degree in a closely related field, or a Master’s degree with significant industry experience, will be considered.
- Demonstrated potential for excellence and innovation in student-centered instruction.
- Demonstrated interest in curriculum and program development.
- Potential for ongoing scholarship including but not limited to research, publication, and activity in professional associations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player who can collaborate with colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion that ensures all types of students can succeed.
Review of applications will begin November 1, 2021 and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a cover letter, a current resume, contact information for three professional references, and responses to the supplemental mission questions.
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.Posting Number:
P044FNumber of Vacancies:
1Open Until Filled:
NoQuick Link for Internal Postings: