Job no: 493935
Position Type: ECC Student Worker
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Entry-Level
Categories: Student Workers
Role: Institutional Student Worker - Disability Services
As a result of the Covid-19 Delta Variant, the Governor of the State of Illinois has issued Executive Order 2021-20 (Covid-19 Executive Order No. 87), to include mandatory COVID vaccines or submission to weekly testing for higher education faculty, personnel, and college students, as well as issuing an indoor mask mandate for all. By choosing to apply, I acknowledge and understand that upon employment, Elgin Community College (ECC) may require proof of vaccination or weekly testing as required by this mandate.
Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Varies by semester
Rate of Pay:
$12.00 effective 01/01/2022
In-class assistants and lab assistants are hired to ensure equal access to educational opportunities for students with disabilities. In-class assistants and lab assistants aid students with disabilities with the physical mechanics and dexterity requirements of class activities (e.g., lifting, pouring, writing, typing, etc.). In-class assistants and lab assistants will attend the class in which the student with a disability is enrolled and must be available to attend the entire class session. In-class assistants and lab assistants cannot be enrolled in the same course level of the students they are assisting. In-class assistants and lab assistants will follow directions provided by the student with a disability and will not contribute to the content of the course or be responsible for teaching the material to the student with a disability.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
• Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality of the student
• Ability to express verbally what is seen in a descriptive manner
• Effective communication skills
• Responsible, professional and dependable
• Respectful of different learning styles
• Ability to follow multi-step directions
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Previous experience in and knowledge of the subject area preferred
These services are individually designed and based on the specific needs of each student.
1. Read aloud academically required materials.
2. Write down information as dictated by the student.
3. Describe visual information.
4. Assist with completing in-class assignments on paper and on the computer as described by the student.
5. Adjust/move lab equipment, lift lab materials, pour lab materials, and perform other lab duties as described by the student.
6. Will perform only those tasks directed by the student.
7. Are used as a tool, not a teacher or tutor.
8. Will not prompt or guide a student in performing a lab/class task.
9. Will not explain nor interpret lab/class assignments/questions.
10. Must follow all class/lab safety procedures.
Other duties as assigned that relate to the job description.
Sedentary (up to 10 lbs occasionally, sitting most of the time)
Visual Acuity (arm’s length)
Typical office or administrative
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: October 15, 2021 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled